Help me pick a new video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a new video card

I currently have a PNY Geforce Ti 4600. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer card so I can play some of the new games with quality and performance, like COD 2, Quake 4, and Doom 3.
    What's good card to upgrade to? I don't want to spend over $300. Maybe $350.

Also, should I just upgrade my mobo and cpu so I can get a pci-e video card? AGP should get phased out soon right?

My current system is:

P4 2.8GHz
    1gig ram 512x2 dual
    Abit AI7 mobo

Go with AMD or stick with Intel?

Re: Help me pick a new video card

You basically have the same system i do, do you overclock? Well i got a 6800le and unlocked it to a 6800 for like 120 dollars and it can play alot of good games on decent quality. A regular 6800 goes for about 160 and you can unlock it to a gt.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

You could upgrade your CPU, but you don't really need to. That's more than acceptable for current games.

AGP is essentially phased out already, but the cards themselves won't be obsolete for two or three years. Your CPU is further behind than top-of-the-line AGP cards, and it's still in okay shape.

I'd suggest you get a 6800GT or a 6800, unless an AGP version of the 6800GS comes out. I can't seem to find any AGP 6800GTs at Newegg, so I doubt nVidia is even thinking about making the GS for AGP.

If you do upgrade your whole system, you definitely want a socket 939 system, which is AMD.

Comment

Why rule out ATI? You could get an X800XL for pretty cheap.

Comment

Well the 6800 is more ideal because it has Smart shader 3 and the fact that its around 160-180.

EDIT: I checked newegg for any avaible x800XL, and the only ones they have is the 289 dollar ALL in wonder and the 252 dollar gigabyte that is out of stock.
          This thread is open for reconmendations, so eaglee you can reconmend what you want as long as you offer that reconmendation with a reasonable price. It looks like new egg has removed or ran out of 6800, the only one left is the 179 dollar Apollo.
          Last edited by AsianBatman; 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglee
            Why rule out ATI? You could get an X800XL for pretty cheap.
            Because nVidia is making a superior product at this price range. I did the same to nVidia two generations ago, and I do the same to the current generation of Intel processors.

Comment

I overclocked my system a few times. Now it's set at normal.

My gf needs a new video card. She's using a ATI all-in-wonder 128pro. I'm thinking of giving her my card. If I'm gonna get a new video card, I might as well get one that's pci-e. I'm also considering going with AMD this time. Probably a Athlon 64, socket 939. I just need to get a new cpu, mobo, video card, and maybe a nicer case.
              What do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

Sounds good, but instead of a new case you might need a new psu to handle your new mobo, cpu and video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolt345
                  I'm also considering going with AMD this time. Probably a Athlon 64, socket 939.
                  There's no other sensible choice. You're on the right track, but as AsianBatman said you'll need a new PSU. Regardless of what you have now, you'll need a new PSU with a socket 939 PCI-E system because they need 24-pin ATX connectors on their PSUs, and yours most certainly doesn't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                    Well the 6800 is more ideal because it has Smart shader 3 and the fact that its around 160-180.

EDIT: I checked newegg for any avaible x800XL, and the only ones they have is the 289 dollar ALL in wonder and the 252 dollar gigabyte that is out of stock.
                    This thread is open for reconmendations, so eaglee you can reconmend what you want as long as you offer that reconmendation with a reasonable price. It looks like new egg has removed or ran out of 6800, the only one left is the 179 dollar Apollo.
                    Yes, but we are talking about the 6800gt, aren't we? I can't find any AGP 6800gts instock in newegg either, and they are still about the same price as an X800XL. PCI E is a whole different market, I can find a 78000GT for $299 on newegg right now, which is much better than a 6800GT.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130256
                    Last edited by Eaglee; 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                      You basically have the same system i do, do you overclock? Well i got a 6800le and unlocked it to a 6800 for like 120 dollars and it can play alot of good games on decent quality. A regular 6800 goes for about 160 and you can unlock it to a gt.
                      I was talking about a regular 6800, not GT.

Comment

Working...
                      X