Video Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Possibilities

In my quest to build a new CAD PC (with some gaming on the side) I've decided on MSI A8N Neo4 Platinum mobo and OCZ 2GB PC3200 DDR Dual Channel Platinum memory.

Thanks to Casecutter and Yawgm0th's "crash course" on mobos, I've finally graduated to Video cards!

So here I am ready for advice... Keep in mind I'm still learning as I go so go easy on me with acronyms.

Given my multi-use goals which one of makes the most sense or are there others I should consider?

Nvidia Possibilities:
    7800 GT
    6800 GT

ATI Possibilities:
    X800 Pro

Thanks

Re: Video Possibilities

The 7800GT is a great card, but if you only do "some gaming on the side," it might not be the best choice. There are better, cheaper cards for specifically CAD work that will play games, just not nearly as well. If the money doesn't bother you, go for it. IMO, you'd probably be better off with a mid-range card.

Speaking of which, you should be looking at a 6800GS, not a GT. They're practically identical in performance, but the GS is much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      The 7800GT is a great card, but if you only do "some gaming on the side," it might not be the best choice. There are better, cheaper cards for specifically CAD work that will play games, just not nearly as well. If the money doesn't bother you, go for it. IMO, you'd probably be better off with a mid-range card.

Speaking of which, you should be looking at a 6800GS, not a GT. They're practically identical in performance, but the GS is much cheaper.
      Thanks again Yawgm0th,

BTW, how much differience are there between brands, are there minimum features to look for?

In most price compariisons I keeep seeing eVGA brand coming in slightly less than most.

Comment

Well certain brands will have worse track records than others, but I've had no problems with any of the brands I've ever used, so I can't help you there. After that, there are basically three things to look for -- package, speed, and cooling.

For the package, see what programs, games, and cords/converters come with the card.

For speed, just look at the clock speeds and make sure they're the same as all of the other brands' cards.

For cooling, simply look at the heatsink. Most will be identical (minus the decoration), while others might have a massive HSF that improves overclockablity. Some might even have weaker coolers. If you just go with aftermarket cooling or never overclock, it doesn't matter. Otherwise, the cooler is important.

Finally, look at user reviews and web site reviews. You can definitely learn more about a card and a brand by doing that than by looking at the retailer or manufacturer web sites.

And BTW, eVGA is one of the better brands. I almost went with eVGA when I got my 6800GT, but at the time Apollo had a really inexpensive card with good reviews, so I went with that. I did used to recommend eVGA all the time. If it's one of the cheaper brands, I'd probably go for it.

Comment

Working...
        X