No announcement yet.

suggestions on what video card to buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on what video card to buy.

i was thinking of buying a new video card, maybe 512 mb. Since i dont know much about computers im just here to ask you guys what kind i should get.

right now i have a sapphire radeon x300 se 128 mb (it came with my computer).

and here are my computer stats if it helps.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2ghz
    Ram: 1024

Re: suggestions on what video card to buy.

What motherboard, ram and power supply do you have? List the brands and specifications. What are you expecting out of a new video card? If your PC a custom build or is it a branded PC (Dell, HP, etc..)? We need much more info from you to help.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by f0rkishu
      ......right now i have a sapphire radeon x300 se 128 mb (it came with my computer).......
      That is an AGP card?? I didn't think there were any 512mb AGP cards on the market, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Correct myself, lol will Google before opening my mouth first next time lol

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=512mb+agp&meta=
      Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM.
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

sorry i guess i missed out on alot of information.. its custom built pc.
        I have 1 gig of ram. (i thought i mentioned it)
        And my old video card was pci-e, not agp LOL (forgot to mention)
        i couldnt wait that long so i bought a ati radeon x700 256mb (i got it for cheap, 100 dollars). Now the question is... was this a good buy? because as of the first day of having it, its working perfect for me. But the one thing i dont like now is that my monitor is a acer 19 inch lcd monitor with a 16 ms rate. I need to buy a new monitor with the lowest ms rate so i wont have to see those ghost streaks during game play ^^

Comment

I liked my ATI radeon x700 pro, although I've updated to a GeForce 7800 Gt, the old card seemed to do alright with anything I tried running at defualt settings, even BF2. For $100 I'd say you got a very good deal.

As for a new monitor, things might look better on a CRT monitor but I'd hold off from buying a new monitor for now until you find it affordable to buy one with native DVI support.
          Last edited by Spongebob; 11-19-2005, 06:05 PM.

Comment

the money doesnt matter ^^ im just wanting a better monitor. i was thinking about getting a samsung lcd monitor with 4ms. I really liek lcd monitors. But whats the differents between crt and lcd (pros and cons) i rather want someone to tell me because as for now im just lazy to look things up.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rkishu
              the money doesnt matter ^^ im just wanting a better monitor. i was thinking about getting a samsung lcd monitor with 4ms. I really liek lcd monitors. But whats the differents between crt and lcd (pros and cons) i rather want someone to tell me because as for now im just lazy to look things up.

These are the main adavatages of both for me.

LCD (liquid Crystal Display)= Nice space savers and they use less electricty.

CRT (cathode-ray tube)= Less expensive. Can usually support higher refresh rates which makes for less eye strain.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                CRT (cathode-ray tube)= Less expensive. Can usually support higher refresh rates which makes for less eye strain.
                Not usually, always, but eye strain isn't a problem for LCDs. They work differently and won't damage your eyes or even bother them. The response time and low refresh rate do, however, reduce the realism in games because the monitor can't diplay things fast enough to provide the illusion of reality. It's fine for gaming below 60FPS (and above 30 is usually playable), though ghosting and the like are always a problem.

Also, CRTs do actually have better image quality. Some LCDs do have really nice image quality, but it can vary from monitor to monitor and application to application. As long as there isn't anything wrong with it, a CRT will always display something exactly as it's meant to be displayed.

My opinion on the whole matter is LCDs are only to be used when portability is required or more desk space is needed. They certainly are useful for LANs.

Comment

ahh i see, that sounds better. Ill check out the crt monitors this weekend. Mayber there will be something i like.. i dont wanna strain my eyes and make my eyes be ruined more. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                    They work differently and won't damage your eyes or even bother them.
                    I agree that you can get by with a lower refresh using a LCD display and still make things look good but I disagree with you that an LCD display won't cause eye strain. They do.

I ran across an old CRT monitor a long time ago that had a max refresh rate of 60Hz, so thats why I said usually instead of always.
                    Last edited by Spongebob; 11-21-2005, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                      I agree that you can get by with a lower refresh using a LCD display and still make things look good but I disagree with you that an LCD display won't cause eye strain. They do.
                      If an LCD causes you eye strain it's for a different reason. A CRT works very differently and by nature it will cause eye strain at low refresh rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                        If an LCD causes you eye strain it's for a different reason. A CRT works very differently and by nature it will cause eye strain at low refresh rates.

Both types do cuase eyestrain and I'm betting your right that it's for a different reason. I know constant light flickering is the main reason CRT displays cuase it but what exactly cuases a LCD display to give eyestain if flickering isn't the reason?

Comment

Eye strain varies from person to person. I get eye strains from my crt, but then again..thats because i play games for hours..
                          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                          SC: Audigy 2 zs
                          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                            Eye strain varies from person to person. I get eye strains from my crt, but then again..thats because i play games for hours..

I'd bet the same thing would happen to you if you used a LCD display. If you could turn up the refresh rate on your CRT display to OVER 100Hz refresh rate it would help alot and probably cuase you less eye strain than that of a quality LCD display using that same game and playing the same amount of time in a room with the same lighting.

Comment

...i don't think you have seen my setup, i have both crt and lcd, one is for games (crt) and other for office stuff. both running at the same resolution and refresh rate of 75.
                              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                              SC: Audigy 2 zs
                              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
                              X