Quake 4 and a pci video card ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 4 and a pci video card ?

I need to find a PCI video card that will run quake 4 ... i have a hp computer with a 3.06 pent 4 processer and 1.5 gb of memory ... However this machine doesnt have a pcie slot or agp so i need to find the best pci card that will run quake 4 .. Can anyone help me out ?

Re: Quake 4 and a pci video card ?

May the force be with you...

The manufacturer states it will run on a GeForce3 Ti series board, and I think that it came in PCI but don't remember for sure.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Darth, you really need to stop exaggerating.

All of the nVidia 5xxx below 5900 comes in PCI, and you can still find everything from a 5700le and down on Newegg.com, assuming you're American.

Comment

The only 5700le i could find was from Jaton ... and it seems anyone that has bought that card from newegg in the past 2 months said it wouldnt work because it was packaged poor from the mfg. .... I want to get the best card that will work for quake 4 in pci format .. The box for quake 4 for supported chipsets says radeon 9700-988 series and radeon x300-850 .. Nvidia ranges from 3/ti series to 7 series

Comment

I'm assuming that your PC was a "brand-name" box, such as a Hell, Comcrap, Hopelessly Pathetic, or a Craptiva. You've got enough CPU and RAM, but the rest of the PC sounds like it is seriously underspecced. You will have to look around for PCI video cards, and also pay a premium for it as well when compared to equivalent AGP and PCI-X versions. A MX440 or MX4000 might be OK, but don't expect too much.

Another potential problem is that when you add another video card, some software such as DVD playing software may refuse to work because it thinks you are trying to copy the movies to video tape. (Yes, this happened to my Ex's PC when we added a PCI video card in addition to the onboard video adapter. PowerDVD refused to work until the PCI card was removed. We couldn't disable the onboard video adapter in the BIOS. Sis630 for anyone who's curious.)

And I foresee a great wailing and gnashing of teeth this festive season as millions of hopes and dreams are extinguished through underspecced video hardware.

Comment

should i got with the fx5700le or fx5500 with a higher clock speed ?

Comment

Originally posted by 1evil01
              The only 5700le i could find was from Jaton ... and it seems anyone that has bought that card from newegg in the past 2 months said it wouldnt work because it was packaged poor from the mfg. .... I want to get the best card that will work for quake 4 in pci format .. The box for quake 4 for supported chipsets says radeon 9700-988 series and radeon x300-850 .. Nvidia ranges from 3/ti series to 7 series
              Then get a FX5500. You can also go for a FX5200 or Radeon 9250.

Comment

I have a radeon 9200 you need at least a 9700 for it to work .. I tried using my card

Comment

Well that's bull. Search around Google. There's probably a mod that will allow the game to play on a pre-9700 card. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't. It's based on the Doom 3 engine, and Doom 3 will play on an anything 8500 or greater, including a 9200.

Or, you can just get an FX5500 like I said. I'd rather have that for Quake 4 anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X