Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Dimension 8300, PSU 305W, video card upgrade from Geforce 5200 to BFG Geforce6600 GT OC( minimum power 350W). I just got the card from ebay for $160, and I've bought a 430w power supply made by Antec for $78. But I just found out that the standard Antec PSU doesnot fit the Dell Case, I mean no any others will fit unless you spend $134.10 + $5.00 shipping for Turbo-Cool 425w Dell. The price is almost the same as the video card I got, it's just ridiculous, and seems it is the only PUS you can get for Dell pc in the world. I really don't know what to do. I dont have that much money to spend on a PUS after i got the video card. Why can't dell use standard design so I can have a right to choose what i want? Is there actually any solution to this? I heard that some people use 250w Dell PSU to run 6600GT, can i do the same since I have 305W PSU? If I do so, will that damage my pc and the new video card? Should I spend $25 to get a stander pc case and just thought the dell logo away? what if the dell motherboard is not standard either? God...Anyone please give me some advice.
    Thanks.

Re: Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

try to run your 6600 with stock psu, and if stable, use that untill you save enough dough for the psu that you cant buy right now. gl

Comment

That's why you don't go with Dell for a desktop PC if you can't build it...

If the PSU isn't sufficient, your out of luck. Your motherboard won't work with a non-Dell PSU at all.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. I'd say there's a good chance it'll be enough.

Comment

Use a non-Dell PSU in a Dell PC, or a Dell PSU in a non-Dell PC, and it is magic smoke time! Bluntly, you WILL destroy the mainboard and the PSU. Dell swapped over a few of the power leads but still use the standard connectors.

It's a conspiracy from Dell to keep you buying their overpriced and underspecced hardware. Dells are fine office PCs, but woefully inadequate gaming rigs unless lots of $$$$ are spent.

Comment

thanks a lot, guys. I guess I have no choice but see if the current psu will work. hope it will handle the 6600gt well.

Comment

if you could get your hands on an old AT power supply - you could run your video card (or other less essential components) off of that - off course it may have to sit outside of your case, but it would be cheaper than buying the Dell PS

Comment

Working...
            X