Performance issues with Geforce cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance issues with Geforce cards

I currently have a Geforce FX 5200 and am having serious performance problems. Games FPS are much slower than they should be, no matter how old they are. Here is the real twist. I recently bought a completley new rig (still the same PC box), but had the same problem with a Geforce 2 MX 64mb. I am also having problems with debugging errors runnings games such as Neverwinter Nights, Worms Forts and Lineage 2 (this I think is is a seperate problem). Any thoughts? I have updated drivers from the Nvidia website... what could be the issue? What is really strange is I had the same problem with a completley differant motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Many thanks...

Re: Performance issues with Geforce cards

Originally posted by Azael99
    I currently have a Geforce FX 5200 and am having serious performance problems. Games FPS are much slower than they should be, no matter how old they are. Here is the real twist. I recently bought a completley new rig (still the same PC box), but had the same problem with a Geforce 2 MX 64mb. I am also having problems with debugging errors runnings games such as Neverwinter Nights, Worms Forts and Lineage 2 (this I think is is a seperate problem). Any thoughts? I have updated drivers from the Nvidia website... what could be the issue? What is really strange is I had the same problem with a completley differant motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Many thanks...

I did a Google search on one of the games you mentioned to find out what kind of system requirements it takes. This is what I came up with for Worms Fort.

What are the minimum PC system requirements?
    The minimum PC system requirements are as follows, if your system does not conform to these requirements you may experience problems.

- Microsoft® Windows® 98, 2000 or XP (*95/Me/NT are unsupported)
    - 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® III or AMD AthlonTM processor
    - 256 Mb System RAM
    - 8 x CD-ROM drive
    - 64 Mb hardware accelerated video card with 100% OpenGL® 1.4 compatibility
    - Sound card with 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatibility
    - 800 Mb Hard Drive Space
    - Microsoft Windows 100% compatible keyboard and mouse

What are the recommended PC system requirements?
    The recommended PC system requirements are as follows.

- 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or faster
    - 512 Mb System RAM
    - 16 x CD-ROM drive
    - 128 Mb hardware accelerated video card with 100% OpenGL 1.4 compatibility
    - 3D Sound card with 100% DirectX 9.0c compatibility
    - Network connection for LAN play
    - Broadband, DSL / Cable Modem Internet connection for Fortnet play via GameSpy Arcade®
    - 16 button, 4 axis game pad with 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible driver (Optional)

I'm guessing that Geforce 2 MX 64mb would'nt work too well with those games. I'm surprised it worked at all. The Geforce FX 5200 would be a little weak but might make the game playable if you turn down the graphics settings for the game. Keep in mind it takes more computer hardware than just a good graphics card to run a somewhat system demanding game like Worms Forts and most likely the other 2 games you had mentioned.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 07-22-2005, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Plus its also better to give us a run down on your complete system setup.

Comment

Clench your fists and scream at the computer, or smash the mouse against the mouse pad. That usually does the trick.

Comment

Scrap those Nvidia cards and get at least a Nvidia 5900 series card or an ATI 9700/9800 pro. The Nvidia 5200 is just as bad as a Geforce2, which is absolutely terrible. Even an ATI 9200 is better and it too is pretty bad.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The catch is my friend has a lower end system with a Geforce 4, and above mentioned games run faster on his.

Comment

umm .... there are a lot of GeForce 4 cards that are much faster than a FX5200. If you were to actually post the rest of your specs we might be able to point out exactly what is causeing your problem. Just for reference ...how bad are your framerates? ... at what resolution?
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

A FX5200 has about the same straight-line speed as a MX440 card, which is a GeForce 2 MX400 with DDR RAM (instead of SD-RAM) and slightly higher core and RAM speeds. A Ti4200 is a much better card for straight line performance. It could be said that the FX5200 is a MX440 with DirectX 9 extensions.

Comment

Working...
                X