BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Here is a quote from Anandtech in regards to Video ram on graphics card (taken from today's post about Nvidia's 7800):

"We don't feel that ATI's 512MB X850 really brings anything necessary to the table, but with this generation we could start to see a real use for 512MB of local memory. MRTs, larger textures, normal maps, vertex textures, huge resolutions, and a lack of hardware compression for fp16 and fp32 textures all mean that we are on the verge of seeing games push memory usage way up. Processing these huge stores of data require GPUs powerful enough to utilize them efficiently. The G70 begins to offer that kind of power. For the majority of today's games, we are fine with 256MB of RAM, but moving into the future it's easy to see how more would help. "

You heard it from me first. Go with a card that has more video ram. If you have to choose a lower end card to get more ram, I would seriously consider it depending on price and the type of card itself. I would choose BFG's 6200OC 256mb for $150 over a plain 6600 with only 128mb for $109. Again there is a reason the price is higher, and it's not "just to make more money of dumb consumers".
    It's because your card will have a longer, more versitile life. ...nfm

Comment

Originally posted by relic2279
      "We don't feel that ATI's 512MB X850 really brings anything necessary to the table, but with this generation we could start to see a real use for 512MB of local memory. MRTs, larger textures, normal maps, vertex textures, huge resolutions, and a lack of hardware compression for fp16 and fp32 textures all mean that we are on the verge of seeing games push memory usage way up. Processing these huge stores of data require GPUs powerful enough to utilize them efficiently. The G70 begins to offer that kind of power. For the majority of today's games, we are fine with 256MB of RAM, but moving into the future it's easy to see how more would help. "
      Without a power GPU, you're not pushing crap through that memory. In order to utilize the ram efficiently, you need something that's going to push data in it like a hoss. That's why you are better off with a more power GPU than larger memory.

Comment

Again thats why I say depending on the card.

BFG's 6200OC is, for lack of a better description, a monster of a low end card. It's chipset is fantastic and the overclocking ability is phenomenal. A few tweaks here and there, and the decision isn't hard.

Comment

well.. still looking around.. but I think I might get a msi gt..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127150

either way it should be good enough for a year or so.. and by that point I really would need a whole new PC anyway...
          Last edited by diamond-optic; 06-22-2005, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Again thats why I say depending on the card.

BFG's 6200OC is, for lack of a better description, a monster of a low end card. It's chipset is fantastic and the overclocking ability is phenomenal. A few tweaks here and there, and the decision isn't hard.
            Laff, for the stake of arguement. Yawg is once again right. ^_^. 6200 is probably more $$ because of the ram..as you stated, and i didn't bother reading anything else about your post, but thats like saying i paid for this computer system over the other one because it has more Ram while the other system may have a faster chip. Anyway..i see the person made the choice of a 6600. Good choice. While this may i say...6200 fan boy can stick to his BFG card.

Btw: old pc you say? what are you specs? your comp might not even use msot of that card.
            Last edited by AsianBatman; 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM.
            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
            SC: Audigy 2 zs
            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Ignorance is bliss, so they say.

Obviously you didn't read my above post before posting your useless dribble. If your going to say someone is right and criticize anothers post and/or claim they are wrong, at least use 2% of your limited brain power and provide some kind of argument and perhaps a brief explaination.

If you can show me a better low end card that outperforms & overclocks higher, I'd like to see it.

And by the way, I told him to get whatever he could afford, so long as it had 256mb of ram, because if he didn't, he'll be upgrading his card again at the end of the year. That is, if he wants to play any newer games that come out at a resolution above 800x600.

Comment

If you can show me a better low end card that outperforms & overclocks higher, I'd like to see it.

And by the way, I told him to get whatever he could afford, so long as it had 256mb of ram, because if he didn't, he'll be upgrading his card again at the end of the year. That is, if he wants to play any newer games that come out at a resolution above 800x600.
                I'm not advocating him flaming you, but...

I guess you've never heard of a 9600 or 9550. It'll overclock great and outperform a 6200 in most games. It's also cheaper than even the models with less than 256MB of RAM. They also come in 256MB models. The only advantages the 6200 has is Doom 3 in and of itself, because nVidia 6xxx cards generally perform much better than 9xxx and Xxxx cards from ATI in the same price range, and the fact that the 6200 has Pixel Shader 3.0, which can greatly improve image quality in several existing games and most upcoming ones. Other than that, a 9600/9550 will overclock amazingly and outperform a 6200 in pretty much everything from Doom 3.

As for playing a game at 800x600, the 6200 can't handle most newer engines above 1024x768, so I wouldn't expect it to handle better engines in the near future at anything but 800x600, and then 640x480, while plenty of 128MB cards will handle them at 1024x768 well into 2007 and maybe longer.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss, so they say.

Obviously you didn't read my above post before posting your useless dribble. If your going to say someone is right and criticize anothers post and/or claim they are wrong, at least use 2% of your limited brain power and provide some kind of argument and perhaps a brief explaination.
                  I did say that i did not bother to read your post didn't i? Ignorance is bliss...therefore i am who i am. People have there opinions and i will blunting say that a suggestion for a 6200 256mb over a 6600 128mb is stupid.

EDIT: Hi yawg, its usaully us arguing against each other. =D

Comment

It is? Nah, we don't argue that much... But for old time's sake...

"I'd recommend a 6800 non-ultra non-GT. It's a good card for the money and fits nicely between the 9800 Pro and 6800GT. blah blah blah..."

I actually would recommend it if it's in the budget, though that'll near $200, while a 6600GT is closer to $150.

BTW, where have you been lately? You haven't posted much here or at Beefy's in a while.

Comment

Actaully,

Its from high to low. I threw in a 6600 256mb just to satify relic.
                      To answer your question yawg, i don't post at beefy cause half the time i am always late for the posts..and i to lazy to read through all of em and knowing what is going on.

Comment

I just bought the BFG 6200 from BestBuy for $149.99 - $20 MIR - $49.99 Free game (BF2, was gonna buy it anyway) = $80

So far I like it, I have max'd out my settings in COD: UO, Counter Strike: Source, Half Life 2 and BF2... So far so good

Comment

How do you max out bf2 with that? I have a 9800pro (same as your card) and can only run bf2 on medium with 4x aa and af. Even then I get crappy fps in some places (center of dagin oilfields).

Comment

Easily if he runs it at 800x600 or is just incorrect in his information. He could probably even run it at 1024x768 and have the settings up pretty high. I can max out setting on pretty much any game, but that's because I can't run at resolutions higher than 1280x960 because of my monitor.

As for your 9800 Pro, sounds like something else is wrong. Either you are using bad drivers (update to the latest Catalysts right away), don't have enough system RAM, have a CPU too slow, or have a system that's running way too many programs.
                            Edit: well never mind the CPU and RAM part, I just saw your signature.
                            Here's what I play BF2 on with my 9800 Pro:
                            Athlon XP 2400 Mobile, not overclock ATM
                            512MB of RAM@PC3200 2-3-3-7
                            Crappy motherboard I'm replacing next week when my NF7-S v. 2 comes
                            Settings:
                            1024x768 (for lack of monitor support for higher resolutions, also fixing that next week)
                            The "high" choice.. I found manually changing the two options that don't go when I select "high" causes performance to just die, so I left them at low and medium where the game puts them.
                            After I get my current motherboard and cooling issues fixed, the Mobile will be overclocked and the 9800 Pro will be, too. I'll see if it's still playable at 1280x960 (or 1280x1024 if EA was stupid and doesn't allow both).

This is very easily playable and I don't get any lag in 64 player games, even when lots of shooting or large explosions are going on right in front of me. I haven't even thought about AA or AF, and I can probably afford to throw one or both on at a lower level.
                            Last edited by Yawgm0th; 06-25-2005, 11:39 AM.

Comment

All in BF2 is set to high but only at 1024x768 res (haven't tried anyting higher), forgot about the res... : /

AMD XP3200 (400) / 2gb Ram (PC3200)
                              Last edited by CaptNaughty; 06-25-2005, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                                i will blunting say that a suggestion for a 6200 256mb over a 6600 128mb is stupid.
                                Really? Wow.

So for instance, the people who can't play BF2 with thier cheapo 5700, and others having no issues with a 5500 with 256mb ram means nothing? In my opinion, I'd rather have the 5500. I'm arguing longevity, not performace. If your on a low budget, thats what counts.

Comment

Working...
                                X