best bang for $150 to $200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best bang for $150 to $200

I have a dell 4700 i want to upgrade the video card. At this time i have a 128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE. can you people help me?

my rig
    p4 2.8 ht
    256 mb of ram /I will get 1 gig of ram later
    40 gig hard drive
    mother board ?
    DVD rom drive
    128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
    dell 4700 MicroTower
    no floppy drive
    Thank you
    Last edited by denbradt; 06-10-2005, 04:48 PM.

Re: best bang for $150 to $200

6600GT is a well rounded card, They also have the 6800 down to $189.00 according to Newegg (6/08/05). PCI-E or AGP, this is what I would shoot for, unless you want to wait for the higher end cards to downfall a bit more to your price range, or simply get ATI which I don't know what to recommend for you there.

Hope this helps, enjoi! : )

Comment

Thank you that is cool.

Comment

Yeah, you def need more memory. 1Gig will do the job well.

They have some 1Gig Corsair Value Select PC3200 2x(512) DDR-Ram @ Newegg for $79.00 (6/08/05), but you want to make sure it is compatible with your mobo first.

Comment

I got an X700 Pro for $200. I know I overpaid a little but it's a real nice card. 265 meg ddr3 which is nice for overclocking. The stock core and mem speeds are pretty decent. I'm not shunning nividia cards; I'm just recommending my ati card. I can run bfv at highest settings 800x600x32 around 83 fps. Good hunting!

Comment

I'd say a 6800 would be good, but you have a PCI-E system and that makes the 6800 more expensive (a little over your budget). So I'd get a 6600GT if I were you.

Comment

Didn't feel I should make a new thread for the same thing.

What would be better, say the same price.

256mb 6600
              or
              128mb 6600GT

and why?
              Both around $150

Comment

A 6600GT is always better than a 6600. Even the next generation of games is barely going to take advantage of 256MB of RAM, and the 6600GT is so much more powerful that it doesn't matter.

Comment

Thank you for all of your help. I am still open to any new ideas.

Comment

Kind of like putting a spoiler on a studabaker. Or you know, a honda civic... Anyways, my point being most people aren't going to use most of the power their hardware offers. It's like buying a Ferrari to drive in Manhattan. You can always have the power, but my toyota (x700 on a 32 bit platform) is going to be right behind you honking it's stupid annoying little horn. God I hate the horn on my car. Of course I had to put high octane in my tank and run hotter so my rig may not last as long. I hope you all got my analogies. I did recently invest about $175 in cooling. I'll post my specs somewhere when they come; should look nice.
                    Also, siding with Yawgm0th, the 6600GT is definately a better choice. Most games don't even use 128MB and with those speeds you're not going to need a bunch of memory anyways. If I had PCI-E I would have gone with that over the x700. It still holds down the fort. Good Luck bud.

Comment

thank you

Comment

I bought a Leadtek a400 TDH(6800) for $191, but i had to rma it back to newegg and get a replacement because it would lock up in game menus. In some games i got away just to test and i saw the games ran really well at 1280x1024 @ 4xaa and 8xfsaa. So i dont know if you would rather go for that choice because that is what i did. Hopefully when the 6800 comes next week i will get one where i can unlock the extra 4 pipelines. Which gives the 6800 a big plus because it gives you a great performance boost and almost meets 6800gt fps if you overclock it a lil bit.

Comment

SprigganX, I started a thread on unlocking the 6800. There's link in the 1st post to a tech article. Firstly, it only works on AGP 6800 cards. Second, the improvement was only 5-12% over stock, and nowhere near a 6800GT (much less an Ultra).

Comment

I would advise to not listen to the people saying that the higher amounts of ram on cards are useless for awhile.

Battlefield 2 which comes out on tuesday requires a minimum amount of 128mb. They recommend 256mb. Going forward, any decent game that comes out will require more ram on your video card. I would recommend no less then 256mb's.

Comment

Hope this thread isn't dead yet...

What does everyone think of a RADEON 9800 PRO ?
                              I've seen a Saphire 256 9800 PRO go for $159 on Newegg.

Comment

Working...
                              X