Monitor Questions....right thread??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Questions....right thread??

Well, I got my new Ti4400 video card and it is great...As I was going through the manual and such there was an article stating that you should run atleast 100hz refresh rate and 120hz recommended when playing games. The manual also said to degrade the resolution until atleast you can have 100hz refresh rate if the monitor doesn't support it at the resolution you use everyday. Before reading this I never thought nothing about it. Would running at 100hz or 120hz be very noticable compared to 85hz?

I use 1024x786 with 16 bit color. At this resolution I guess my monitor will only go upto 85hz. At 800x600 I can get 100hz. Which sucks cause I just bought this monitor not to long ago. It is a 17" KDS XF-70 X-treme flat model. What do you guys run? Is this monitor not good for games? Would you consider getting another one?

What would you guys recommend for a good monitor besides the TFT Lcd ones (they are to exspensive). What would be a ballpark price range for a decent monitor that would be capable of good performance?

Gee, that was a lot of questions and as you can see a I have a very troubled brain :)

While it sounds nice to have 100 and 120 Hz refresh rates for you monitor, windows can only support upto 85 Hz

Normal desktop stuff i run 1152x864 at 32 bit colour, 75Hz refresh rate
    I run games at 1024x768 85Hz refresh rate
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Ha! That is weird....why would they say a thing like that if windows don't even support it? So even tho I Have the option for 100hz and apply the setting I am still only going 85hz?

Comment

other OSs like linux for exapmle, can use 100Hz

your monitor is probably still using 100Hz but the videocard is putting out 85 or something, i dunno, now i'm just starting to guess
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Ignore your manual. Enjoy your new card, enjoy your games, enjoy your recently purchased monitor. End of story. :)
          Onyx

TweakTown
          OCAU - Overclockers Australia
          CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Originally posted by Onyx
            Ignore your manual. Enjoy your new card, enjoy your games, enjoy your recently purchased monitor. End of story. :)
            Damn right, who gives a crap whether it is 85hz or 100hz, the difference is less then un-noticeable. So just run at 1024x768/85hz.

Comment

Great! thanks guys...this is what I wanted to Hear :)

Comment

Yeah, what is it?
                Something like 60+ frames per second is percieved as smooth video to the human eye.
                Shouldn't have any problems at all with 85.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I run mine at 1028x1024x16-bit color and can get 100Hz refresh rate. It all depends on the monitor. You won't have any real problems at 85Hz.

Mr C,
                  Different people have different levels of comfort on the refresh rates. I make sure to always have a refresh rate of at least 70Hz minimum. Anything lower and I can tell because it gives me a headache. Some folks do just fine at a setting of 60-65Hz. Just depends on the individual.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

I believe Mr. C may have been saying that our our eye's don't have the ability to notice any difference in smoothness over 60 **frames**per sec. Not Hz.:confused:

Comment

Hertz is how many times a second something happens.. ie: the frequency.. so Mr C was right... so 80 Hz means that it shows 80 fps.. :) unless you wanna get really picky, and start talking about interlacing etc.. but we won't go into that.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                        Hertz is how many times a second something happens.. ie: the frequency.. so Mr C was right... so 80 Hz means that it shows 80 fps.. :) unless you wanna get really picky, and start talking about interlacing etc.. but we won't go into that.. :)
                        coolies:thumb:

Comment

The human eye/brain doesn't recognize something as choppy until it starts to dip below 25-30 fps. Thats why tv's refresh at 30 fps.

You may have a game running at 200 fps, and while your eyes don't benefit from the difference, you do have that many more points of precision when you aim within the game, or make other adjustments.

Comment

Finally, A topic I can contibute to. In a rather small way. I started my career as a monitor pincushioner. (I would place magnets on the crt in such a way as to make the visual area perfectly square or sometimes change a cap to get the same result.)
                            Anyway, you all are basically right. However, dont underestimate the human eye. There are lots of people out there that can actually see the minute flickering of the screen at 60hz. I used to when I was younger. But the gist of it is, dont worry about it. I only wish that I had a descent video card. I am using a Pine 64mb mx400. Very choppy when playing halflife and other 3d games. That is where you will notice the difference.

Comment

i thought TV refresh rate was 43Hz

Comment

Working...
                              X