9800 Pro AIW + Motherboard + PSU = Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800 Pro AIW + Motherboard + PSU = Dead

That seems a little dramatic, but my computer when using my 9800 Pro with the power connected to the video card will not start. The fans start to spin and just as quickly stop. If I disconnect the power to the card, the computer starts up. I switched out the 9800 with my old 9700 pro and the computer starts with no problem. Of course this really bothered me so I put the 9800 into my other computer to make sure the card wasn't dead, but the computer started fine with the video displayed and all. I am wondering where my problem lies, and if anyone has any ideas where to start I would appreciate it. I would rather use the 9800 pro in this system, since it is what I use to edit home movies. Thanks

Re: 9800 Pro AIW + Motherboard + PSU = Dead

Is it possible that you are pushing your power supply to the limit?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Well, I could possibly see that, but when I traced the issue down to these three components the only things I had connected to the power supply was the motherboard and the video card. I had the memory removed, and no hard drives or cd-roms connected. I am pretty sure the power supply says it is rated at 350. The power supply that is in my system that the card works in has a 350 also but it is an antec. I suppose I could swap out the power supplies just to test, It just seemed weird that I could switch out the 9800 for a 9700 (which I think are pretty close in technology and power consumption) and the system all of a sudden works.

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue with my Biostar IDEQ210P small Form factor system. It works fine with a 9600SE (no fan version) but as soon as I plug in the power connector...nada...zip! I did install a different non-SFF PSU and it is working fine. I suspect a PSU issue of sorts. I've been fighting withthis since last night when I started building the system. Unfortunately, there isn't a larger psu for this sff system. It currently has a 250W in it. I've seen many users with this same system use e 9800 Pro and other power hungry gaming cards with no issues so, I'm not sure what to think. No one has any answers. I'm sure interested to see how you solve your issue.

Hopefully, at the very least, my experience will lead you to solve your problem.

Good Luck!

Comment

Well, so I went out and bought a 300 watt power supply from best buy to see if that would make a difference. I know it is only 300 watts, but it is Antec and my primary computer is running an Antec 350 and I never had any problems when the 9800 pro was in it. So I pulled the generic psu from the system and replaced it with the Antec, hooked up the video card....hit the power....and.....nothing. Still didn't fix the problem. This particular motherboard/cpu combination is a MSI K7N2 Delta and an XP-2500-M (which I currently don't have the memory to overclock), so I decided to gut the thing and replace it with an older soyo KT-333 platinum with an Athlon XP-2200. Put the video card in and got everything hooked up and the computer powered up and was functioning fine.

So here is what I am thinking happened: The system originally had a compusa brand power supply rated at 300 watts. The computer had some stability problems with this power supply and I couldn't use all of the connectors for the psu and have it still work. I had bought a new case with psu from newegg, and this is when I tracked down the video card to be the problem. So I believe that the power that the compusa psu was supplying was unstable and ultimatlely affected the power being supplied to the agp port via the motherboard. So the lesson I have learned is this: At the first sign that the psu is having problems...replace it. No doubt it is the most important thing in the computer (at least when it comes to preserving your components).

Comment

Working...
          X