AIW 9800 pro temp and cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIW 9800 pro temp and cooling

I have an ATI AIW 9800 pro. In playing with the ATI tools program I noticed that there was a tab where I could see the temp of the GPU but it doesn't seem to be supported. Do I have to get an aftermarket part or is there even a way to do this? I also wanted to get an after market cooler and I was looking at the Kingwin heatpipe one, the big blue one with the three fans. It says that it fits all ATI Radeon cards but does anyone know for sure if it will fit my card correctly?

Re: AIW 9800 pro temp and cooling

A 9800 Pro doesn't have the built-in temp sensor so you won't be able to check the temp. I wouldn't worry about it. If the temp gets too high, you'll know by the artifacts that show up, and this will only happen if you overclock it.

Comment

What exactly are artifacts? Will I easily recognize them?

Comment

They are graphical disturbances. You'll figure out what they are when you see them.

Comment

Also be skeptical of coolers that "fit all Radeons" because the GPU on a 9800 is depressed a bit requiring the cooler to have a special raised block for contact with the GPU.

Comment

Ya, I noticed that. I got the Kingwin cooler and it said "fits all Radeons", but when I tried to put it on, the tv input box got in the way. With a little bit of machining though I got it to fit perfectly.

Comment

Working...
            X