Radeon SLI compliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon SLI compliant

I've noticed there aren't any video cards by radeon that take advantage of the new Scalable Link Interface, which allows you to use two video cards. Is Radeon going to come out with a card that has this ability?

Re: Radeon SLI compliant

Now what was your rumour or speculation again?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby74213
      I've noticed there aren't any video cards by radeon that take advantage of the new Scalable Link Interface, which allows you to use two video cards. Is Radeon going to come out with a card that has this ability?
      Expect an SLI-like solution from ATI in the next few months
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

i just recieved an email from a guy i know who owns a comp store that caters to the gamer and i asked him about Radeon cards and SLI and he told me that they are supposed to support it but SLI is a Nvidia technology and they run into nothing but troubles so they use only nvidia cards for their SLI rigs. their website is www.rpccomputersonline.com they are a very small store and only have a handfull of employees but are very knowledgeable and wont try to sell you something you don't want. they would rather see a satisfied customer then make a couple extra $$ profit. that is the only place that i go for service unless i attempt it myself.

Comment

They are wrong.

Radeon cards do not support SLI at the moment, if they did they would have the SLI connection on the cards

ATI's version of SLI will be called AMR (ATI Multi Render) anyway
          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

sorry about that. that was a misunderstanding on my part then.

Comment

one rumor that i heard was that radeon is working on an SLI type setup. the main difference that i heard what that with Nvidias SLI each card renders opposite horizontal lines of pixels however with ATI's version each card will render every other frame. i think thats a good approach but waiting to see bench marks before im sold. but i do think that would be a little simpler way for the vid cards to work. cause then in my opinion i think the cards could get away with a slower core clock and get the same frame rates as Nvidia cause the card gets a little longer to process the info before it actually has to throw it at the monitor but like i said its only a rumor and i don't remember where i heard it.

Comment

I've been looking up a lot of information on this subject and have found a lot, but they all say the same thing. Here's a good example: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20457 . I guess it's supposed to be released sometime in ATI's second quarter, which I think starts in April. Not sure about that, though.

Either way I'm going to wait until it comes out before I buy a graphic(s) card and motherboard. I've always liked ATI better than Nvidia.
                Last edited by Bobby74213; 02-28-2005, 12:58 PM.

Comment

The SLI is originaly a GIGABYTE patent, and not nvidia's.
                  I've emailed GIGABYTE about this matter as I want to use the SLI only with a RADEON V.card, and they replied that they're working on this and it'll be available in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by omerk76
                    The SLI is originaly a GIGABYTE patent, and not nvidia's.
                    I've emailed GIGABYTE about this matter as I want to use the SLI only with a RADEON V.card, and they replied that they're working on this and it'll be available in a few months.
                    SLI was a 3DFX patent, and now nVidia owns 3DFX. Gigabyte has little to do with it; it just manufactures cards using the pre-built VPUs from ATI and nVidia. In any case, there is no and most likely never will be SLI for any ATI card, because nVidia owns the patent. AMR is a similar solution (quite possibly a much better one, too), but it is not SLI.

Comment

eh? amr ain't the thing call crossfire or what ever name it is, that only works x800 and x850xt series. and at the end of the card they can connect it to a non support same series card. but this method only works for the ati chipset motherboards. or u guys talking about something else... a ati working with sli on nf mothboard?
                      <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>comming soon..

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 1.95
                      OCZ Gold VX 1GB/(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000
                      Western digital 80GB 7200RPM
                      LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D/
                      leaktek 6800gt @427/1.15
                      Antec TX1050B <o:p></o:p>

</o:p>

Comment

ATI needs there own chipset to run something similar to SLI. So they named it crossfire so they can be in competition against nvidia's sli. Supposedly much better then the sli i hear.

Comment

Actually Crossfire doesn't need a special ATI chipset or anything. ATI is working on possibly having it work on several, including Intel chipsets. In addition, it will only work with X800 and X850 cards (and probably some newer ones as well, but unlike SLI the cards needn't be identical. You can run any two X800 cards or any two X850 cards.

Comment

Best part of the crossfire is that it lets you enable 16xaa

Comment

Working...
                            X