big card = big cpu ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big card = big cpu ?

If I was to get a new high end card like a 6800 or something ,would my processor handle it or would I have to up it too ? my cpu is a 2gig athlon xp.

Re: big card = big cpu ?

It would do all right with the regular 6800 more than likely but wouldn't come even close to being able to take advantage of the potential from the Ultra model.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

yeh, that's what i thought, never hurts to ask though, thanks

Comment

Depends on the game. In Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 it would take advantage of a 6800GT/Ultra. You would be CPU-limited, but their would be small, but significant performance improvement over a regular 6800. Many other games utilize the CPU more and will need a faster CPU to get anything out of the 6800GT/Ultra.

Comment

Actually my system runs really good for what I have All I have is a 2gig athlonxp 2300+ cpu { and yes it is 2gig I use CPU-Z and MBM5 } in a ECS L7VMM2 MB,512mb DDR400 and a small Geforce FX 5200 128mb video,and thats pretty much it,the 5200 is OC'd alittle but not much and I can play HL2 really well,as well as all the BF1942,Veitnam COD and MOH games.I have MOHPA and its a little slow on high but other then that i works good.SO if I was to get a 6600 or 6800 I would need to get what cpu?Also a bigger power supply ( more then 250w ). right ?

Comment

A 6600GT would be a good upgrade for you. Anything higher and you'd probably want a CPU upgrade. You should note that those games don't play well for you. Yes, I'm arguing with you... They play well on the low settings your forced to run them on. Relatively speaking, they play poorly, because with more image quality you'd get much worse FPS levels. The point is, a 6600GT would allow you to get the same framerates you are now (and better) while greatly increasing the resolution and image quality settings.

For a PSU, I'd say get a 350-420W for a 6800 or less and a 480W for a 6800GT or greater.

Comment

Well some of the games are on a lower settings but actually games like Call of Duty and Battlefield 1942 I have set to max settings and they run really smooth and look awsome but your right most are set low but hey its an Emachine so..... I don't expect much. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X