Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What graphics card should I get?

Hello,

I have an HP 304w desktop computer with the AM37 motherboard. The mobo has the KM266 graphics chipset onboard and an AGP 4x slot which is currently home to a Powercolor, Radeon 9600 Pro, 256MB, 128-Bit, AGP 4x/8x graphics card. The card is listed in the mobo compatibility list.
    I mainly need good graphics for my flight simulator. I cannot get worthwhile frame rates with graphics demanding game settings beyond one half of their full potential. I have done everything under the sun to improve frame rates. I upgraded from an Athlon XP 1800 to a 2400 CPU, 128MBs PC 2100 RAM to 768MBs PC 2700 CL 2, a 5400 RPM HD to a 7200 RPM HD, and with the help of a hacksaw, a new 250 watt Antec PS. I installed Direct X 9.0c, Used Driver Cleaner in safe Mode (after using the regular uninstall routine) to remove old drivers then installed the latest from ATI. Mobo BIOS upgrade is the latest available. I tried a soft mod on the graphics card that helped a little but I couldn't find a BIOS upgrade for this particular version.
    I am beginning to think I either have reached the limits of this motherboard or there is some invisible conflict with the onboard graphics chipset.
    This is the only error I get:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ACEEventLogSource
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 1/31/2005
    Time: 9:00:08 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: FOXTROT
    Description:
    1/31/2005 9:00:07 PM --- [Domain]: Runtime.Component --- [Type]: Error --- [Assembly]: CLI.Component.Runtime, Version=1.0.1676.38181, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e --- [Namespace]: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Runtime.Runtime --- [Method]: .ctor --- [Message]: No languages defined

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Would a change to Nvidia and 256-bit card make much difference?

I want to use the ATI card in another PC that has the 400MHz FSB so I need to replace it but with what?
Working...
X