need ATi 9800 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need ATi 9800 help

hey guys i just bought an ATI radeon 9800 from powercolor and it doesnt work when i try putting it in. My mobo has NV Nforce 2 chipset, its an Asus A7N8-LA. i tried putting in the card, but i had to take the 4 pin power cable off of my disc drive to do so. so could it be the power? or could it be a problem with the ATI GPU and Nvidia chipset? also would it matter, i think that this mobo is AGP 4x and the card is AGP 8x, but ime not quite sure, could that also be a problem?

Re: need ATi 9800 help

The 4x AGP card won't be an issue as long as the motherboard supports the AGP voltage necessary for the video board. BUt that 4-pin power header is a requirement, not an option. If you don't have any more available Molex connectors, get a splitter... but you'll want to make sure your PSU is up to the task. Modern video boards suck up a LOT of power.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

so your sayinbg that if my mobo is AGP 4x and my video card is AGP 8x it will work?

Comment

No, I'm saying that if the motherboard is 4x and the video board supports the AGP voltage used by that motherboard, THEN it will work. I don't recall seeing any 8x video boards that do not work in a 4x system but it all comes down to the voltage used for the AGP port in your motherboard. Bounce the values between the mainboard and the video board and make sure you find a common ground.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

ok, i get it. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X