Help! Looking at building a pc....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Looking at building a pc....

I have the ASUS A8N-SLI board....the question (or questions) I have is whether or not going with 2 GeForce 6600 GT 128mb (PCIe) cards to take adv of the nvidia SLI technology is actually better than just one GeForce 6800 GT 256mb card? (fyi....in this case, the 2 cards are cheaper than the one) A second thought, should I go with the PCIe or just go with a high end AGP. The processor I am looking at is the AMD 64 3500+.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations you might have are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Help! Looking at building a pc....

Well if the two cards are cheaper than go for it, the performance would be better. The only thing you should think about before going for SLI, is that when new cards come out, you have to pay double to upgrade.

Comment

I guess my thought there is that if 2 "lower to medium" end cards perform better than 1 High End and the price is at or lower than 1 high end, then it makes sense....to spend a 1000-1200 on 2 ultra's is probably not the way to go not just from a cost perspective but due to the fact you might not see the benefit...just too much for the processor to push...

Just my own guess....not sure which is why I am asking. I am assuming that the AMD64 3500+ will be enough to handle the cards I am looking at purchasing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Also take into consideration that when next-gen cards come out, there might be a single card that can perform better than two current-gen cards. Well I'm just thinking about the future.....

Comment

Originally posted by Knighttime
          A second thought, should I go with the PCIe or just go with a high end AGP. The processor I am looking at is the AMD 64 3500+.
          If you have an SLI board, AGP is not an option.

As for the cards, two 6800GTs will likely have better overall performance, but I'd rather get a 6800GT and get another one later, or get a 6600GT and get another one later. Unless you can afford two 6800GTs/Ultras, get a single card.

Comment

Go with the one 6800 GT as SLI is still in it's infancy and not many games are supported.

When it is supported properly, the two 6600s will outperform the single 6800 at high resolutions(1600+) and high quality settings. But at lower(1280 & under), the single card will actually perform better since there is much less overhead to deal with.

Your problem will be getting the 6800GT in PCIe, they seem to be non existent at most retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighttime
              I have the ASUS A8N-SLI board....the question (or questions) I have is whether or not going with 2 GeForce 6600 GT 128mb (PCIe) cards to take adv of the nvidia SLI technology is actually better than just one GeForce 6800 GT 256mb card? (fyi....in this case, the 2 cards are cheaper than the one) A second thought, should I go with the PCIe or just go with a high end AGP. The processor I am looking at is the AMD 64 3500+.
              Wait a sec, you can use 2 cards at the same time, I thought you could only use one?

Comment

Originally posted by marktoloba
                Wait a sec, you can use 2 cards at the same time, I thought you could only use one?
                Of cause you can use two PCIe 6600GT's on an SLI capable mainboard (these do have two 16x PCIe slots just for this reason).

Comment

Working...
                X