Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6600GT problem

Ok this is funny,

I had a geforce4 ti4200 and played Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory all tweaked up: lowest settings and low resolution, clocked 110 fps on a timedemo. The card was 2 years old, so I thought maybe(well yeah, not really, but I wanted a reason to buy a new card) it was the bottleneck in my system.

So I bought a GF 6600GT 128MB AGP and ran a timedemo 100 fps, great ok it wasnt the bottleneck allright, but EVEN LESS FPS than with the gf4? what is this?

I got the newest drivers(mobo, graphics, directx) I got AGP on 8x, Fastwrites OFF. Tried all the nvidiadriver tweaks even with rivatuner 2.

specs:

AMD 3000XP oc'ed, 512 MB RAM (333 oc'ed to 350) in Dual channel nforce2 mobo(Aopen AK79d), win2k and winXP

And another question: when I ran a timedemo without directx in win2k on my gf4 i had 120 fps. With directx in win2k I get 10 fps less, and it seems you cant uninstall it, anybody knows a tweak for this?

(oh and btw 100 fps might seem enough, but I really need these extra frames, got 144 Hz monitor refreshrate )

Last edited by dexter9; 12-30-2004, 12:52 AM.

Re: 6600GT problem

Considering the fact that you can't see the extra frames, you don't need them. There's no way you can tell the difference between 72 frames per second and 110 FPS. Besides, unless the timedemo was run on identical settings with the same programs running in the background (and was the same timedemo...), it isn't even giving you close to accurate results.

You should try turning the resolution and image quality up. You're just good at wasting money if you have a 6600GT and run a Quake-3 based game at low quality settings...

Edit: If you ran it without the latest DirectX, it probably just reduced image quality in some way, which would explain the performance difference.

Comment

omfg noob, offcourse I ran the same timedemo, same programs same directx, just different nvidia 66.93 drivers instead of 40.41.

But 10 fpsloss?

And pls dont start a discussion about how much fps one can see, check http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm or smth, if you cant see the difference between 72 and 144 fps there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with your eyes.

Comment

Can you actually read that article? It's agrees with me that you don't need excessive amounts of FPS.
        # Do you like to play Quake? Do you think "More is better"? Maybe that's why you think 200fps is better than 180fps.
        # Do you think moving in 3D games is stuttering? Maybe your mouse scans motion with too little dpi (Dots Per Inch) or fps (Frames Per Second)?
        # Do you think it is important that a graphics card can display 250 fps in your favourite game, because that's a feature they write about in PC magazines and on covers?
        Now this is just a figure to show how fast the card is, not to show that you need such a high frame rate. It's like with cars: 100km/h in 5 seconds. When will you ever need to go 100km/h in 5 seconds?
        Here's another, more-technical, article from someone qualified:
        http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html
        So what is the answer to how many frames per second should we be looking for? Anything over 60 fps is adequate, 72 fps is maximal (anything over that would be overkill). Framerates cannot drop though from that 72 fps, or we will start to see a degradation in the smoothness of the game. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad to play a game at 30 fps, it is fine, but to get the illusion of reality, you really need a frame rate of 72 fps.
        I'm not quite sure what DirectX features W:ET uses, but like I said, it's quite possible that the Ti performs better because it doesn't have to use the more advanced features of DX9, which it doesn't support (it'll run DX9 games, but won't have all the cisual features). The only problem with this is that Wolfenstein wasn't a DX9 game, last time I checked. IT's OpenGL, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't even utilize any DX9 functions. It's a DX8.1/OGL game, but it's still possible that's there's something on the 6600GT that the older card doesn't have.

It's also possible there's some sort of software issue. How did you go about uninstalling drivers? You should have removed the old ones via Control Panel then installed the latest from nVidia.

As for running the same timedemo, I've seen dumber mistakes than that on numerous occasions. Just making sure. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dexter9
          omfg noob, offcourse I ran the same timedemo, same programs same directx, just different nvidia 66.93 drivers instead of 40.41.

But 10 fpsloss?

And pls dont start a discussion about how much fps one can see, check http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm or smth, if you cant see the difference between 72 and 144 fps there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with your eyes.
          ahahahaaahhaha he called u "noob"

Comment

Yawgmoth can you read? :>

this is the conclusion of the guy:
            So what is "Enough fps"? I don't know, because nobody went there so far. Maybe 120fps is enough, maybe you will get headaches after 3 hours. Seeing framewise is simply not the way how the eye\brain system works. It works with a continuous flow of light\information. (Similar to the effects of cameras' flashlights ("red eyes"): flashing is simply not the way how we see). So there are still questions. Maybe you need as much as 4000fps, maybe less, maybe more.

Comment

Spot on with the noob comment dexter, Yawgm0th seems to have absaloutly no idea about FPS in the slightest and how it effects you in games.
              You might know a lot about PC's and tweaking Yawgm0th but seriously man you have no idea about Frames Per Second. Its obvious you have never played FPS games online either!

Anyway im having the same problem dexter with my Geforce atm, used to get a consistent 76 FPS in Enemy Territory and now i have reformatted and using the latest nvidia drivers my FPS is now stuttering from 76 and goes as low as 15!
              I'd try getting older drivers. 42.xx - 45.xx seem to work best for most ppl with GF cards.

Comment

Why are you so bothered about just the 10fps loss it makes no real difference to what you see anything above 60fps is very smooth and this is also the benchmark that game develpers aim for to be able to get atleast 60fps on the games they produce so that the game runs smoothly. so 100fps is fine well its more than fine its great and the probably reason for the drop in fps is that when you put latest directx on it improved image quality etc making the card work harder so there is no real problem with your card and too find out if there is an actual problem with your card try running 3dmark03 and comparing it with systems of a similar spec to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by EKSman
                  Its obvious you have never played FPS games online either!
                  The comical value of that statement is so great I'm simply speechless...

In any case, have you tried anything new and what results have you had dexter? Like I said, drivers and DX are big things to look at.

Comment

Nope nothing worked, I geuss its the nvidia drivers and directx indeed that cause the loss, but 44.xx drivers didnt work with this card. I hope someone will make stripped down drivers like the omega drivers for ATI cards.

Grunty: I play with and against the top 100 best ET players of Europe, this 10 fps could make me see 10 % more when I move fast, thats enough to win or lose on this level.

Comment

There is a Quadro driver 70.20 if I recall that is applicible to all GeForce cards. I got mine from guru3d try that it may give you an improvement
                      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

driver is 67.22 not 70.20 as previously stated
                        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
                        X