upgrade from R9800pro to X700 PCI-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade from R9800pro to X700 PCI-E

Is an upgrade from 9800 pro to X700 pro PCI-E a good idea? I really want PCI-E though. But I heard X700 sux a lot. It cost less than the 9800 pro. Also, =is flashing the X700 pro to and XT possible, and is it likely to work? If not, what would be a good upgrade with PCI-E? BTW, I was gunna buy a 9800xt but ppl called me stupid for that, so I was gunna get 6800 and flash it to GT or ultra, but the card cost soo much for an AGP. If it's better to just get the 6800 in general, please tell me.

Re: upgrade from R9800pro to X700 PCI-E

6800 better than X700pro... deffinatly. Dont get the R9800XT not a good enough upgrade from what you have already... If you realy needed a 9800XTfor some reason you could flash your pro.

Comment

Get 6800 XT, cuase I read on some site that you can get chip upgardes for it, once it starts lagging.

Comment

If you are interested there ia a review on the main page about a X700 if you like, havent read it yet... But the Tweaktown Rrviews are usualy pretty good and easy to understand for, experianced and inexperinced readers alike.

Comment

Originally posted by t0n1
          Get 6800 XT, cuase I read on some site that you can get chip upgardes for it, once it starts lagging.
          There is no 6800XT.

Comment

I think he meant LE, some of the "newted" Nvidia boards are called LE and some XT: i.e. 5600XT, 5700LE, 5900XT

Comment

so is the x700 pro a good upgrade from the 9800 pro? I did read the article on the X700 pro that can OC to almost an XT. I checked ebay and the HIS IceQ X700 is $300 USD. That's more than the 6800. a reg X700 is like $170. I did read some articles and they said it's better to go with the 6600GT than the X700. But as my first question, IS the X700 a good upgrade?

Comment

A Radeon 9800PRO is just as good as a Radeon 9800XT or can be made that way very easily. And I don't think upgrading to an X700 is a good idea, as I think its performance is about the same or worse than a 9800PRO and it only has half the memory bandwidth (9800PRO=256bit, X700=128bit).

Comment

Originally posted by jd53887
                  Is an upgrade from 9800 pro to X700 pro PCI-E a good idea? I really want PCI-E though. But I heard X700 sux a lot. It cost less than the 9800 pro. Also, =is flashing the X700 pro to and XT possible, and is it likely to work? If not, what would be a good upgrade with PCI-E? BTW, I was gunna buy a 9800xt but ppl called me stupid for that, so I was gunna get 6800 and flash it to GT or ultra, but the card cost soo much for an AGP. If it's better to just get the 6800 in general, please tell me.
                  Unless you plan on upgrading your mainboard then you won't be able to upgrade from an AGP card to a PCIe card.

Comment

Until the X800 comes out (not the X800 Pro/XT that are already out), I wouldn't even consider ATI for mid-range PCI-E cards. Get a 6600GT (if not something better), but note that neither a 6600GT nor an X700 Pro is a major upgrade from a 9800 Pro (in some cases of the X700 it's a downgrade). A 6800 would be better if you want a more significant upgrade.

That's assuming you're getting a new PCI-E system. A PCI-E card won't do jack for you on its own, and a PCI-E system won't really perform any better with the same hardware (in other words, there's no graphical or gaming advantage to PCI-E).
                    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 12-30-2004, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Ok... I guess I'm not upgrading then.... When should I upgrade to PCI-E? When new cards comes out or when new games come out?

Comment

When your mainboard and CPU need to be upgraded but atm an AGP 6800 would be a better video upgrade for you.

Comment

Honestly, I just want your truthful answer, how long do you think this comp will last me until I actually need an upgrade? I'm 17 and I should really start saving money for a car. My last $600, I blew on my tux for jr prom and this comp.

Comment

Well, for a little while at least. I think I'll upgrade when the new technology is just too good to pass up, like when the Dual-Core processors are out, next generation PCI-E cards are out, when the new SATA features start showing up......that kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jd53887
                              Honestly, I just want your truthful answer, how long do you think this comp will last me until I actually need an upgrade? I'm 17 and I should really start saving money for a car. My last $600, I blew on my tux for jr prom and this comp.
                              It depends on your preference. That machine will last two more years before it's even relativley low-end, but you might be unhappy with the performance sooner than that. You might also not feel like upgrading for another 3-4 years. I'd say in 6-12 months you'll be where I was not so long ago; P4 2GHz, 512MB PC2100 RAM, Radeon 9200SE. I ended up getting a 9800 Pro, which would be like you getting a Geforce 6800GT right now (r within the next year). The only difference is that PCI-E is now available both from AMD and Intel, while socket 754 wasn't even around when I upgraded, meaning there was no reason for me not to get an AGP card.

Your video card is the only real problem, right now, so you could just upgrade that to a 6800 of some sort. If you did a total system rebuild with PCI-E, it would mostly be to ensure upgaradbility as a PCI-E socket 939 motherboard will see anywhere from 3 - 6 years before there's just about any reason to upgrade, and more like 4-7 years before it really becomes necessary for replacement (assuming it's still alive after all that time).

The PCI-E grahpcis card won't do much on its own for quite a while, but there are other benefits to a PCI-E system. As I said, there's better upgradability. Also, you're no longer limited by the PCI bus for anything but whatever PCI cards you put in (and not much besides a sound card or TV tuner would even have a reason to go in), so everything from gigabit ethernet to HDD/RAID controller cards can be used to their fullest potential. That's when PCI-E cards start coming out, as Joe menitoned, though any integrated devices (meaning gigabit ethernet, IDE, and SATA controllers) will already see advantage, but probably nothing you'd notice or even take advantage of right away.

But unless you're looking at replacing this system now, which is going to cost anywhere from $500-$1000 U.S., depending on what you buy and what you use from your existing system, you should either upgrade the video card right now/soon for better gaming performance, if you have problems with your current performance, or just wait until a PCI-E socket + 939 upgrade is both cheaper, more beneficial, and actually desired (e.g. you want better performance; I'd suggest you never buy a different CPU for your current machine).
                              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 12-30-2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X