AGP problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP problem

I'm also having an issue with my video card/mobo.

I know my system isn't much, but it's almost two years old and I'm planning on building a new system when I get my tax returns in the spring.

I have the ASUS A7VX8-X mobo, with an ATI Radeon 9000 in it. The mobo is supposed to have an AGP 8x slot. When I first put the card in, I noticed rather poor performance. SmartGart eventually told me that AGP mode was completely disabled. I emailed ATI and ASUS repeatedly. I checked all my BIOS settings, checked forums, etc. ATI was convinced the problem was with my mobo, and vice versa. I installed the latest drivers for the card, and the latest BIOS for my mobo. (1013 I believe?)

Eventually, I bought a new case and a 540 watt powersupply. Now, magically SmartGart says I'm in AGP 2x mode. BIOS also only has options for Auto, 2X, or 4X modes.

Now, the board supposedly supports 8x. This card won't hit 8x bandwidth, but I'd like to get atleast 4x mode. I don't know why I can't.

Are there any non-manufacturer drivers I could try for this card? I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers.

Re: AGP problem

Your mainboard does support 8x AGP but your R9000 only supports 4x AGP which is why you can't sellect 8x (get an 8x video card and then you'll be able to use 8x AGP).

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea why SmartGart would show AGP disabled for a while, and now only only show AGP 2x when BIOS is set to AGP 4x?

Comment

Did you load your mainboard's chipset drivers before loading the video drivers? Installing the video drivers before the mainboard's driver is usually the cause of that prob.

Comment

Working...
        X