Computer Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Configuration

Hello everybody, I would like to ask you a few questions if you dont mind. I recently built a new pc with an amd 4000, BFG 6800 GT, 1 gig of kingstong pc3200 ram and a msi k9n neo2 platinum. I am getting 60 fps in halflife 2, and around 50 in WoW. Is there something that could obviously be wrong? I basically just put the parts together, and used the stock mobo bios setup. Have two 80gb hard drives in a raid 1 setup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! And sorry if this is on the wrong board, wasnt sure where to post.

Re: Computer Configuration

Originally posted by Whitedevil87
    Is there something that could obviously be wrong?
    Not that I'm seeing... What settings and resolution are you playing those games on? Is vetical sync on?

Comment

Do you run WoW on max everything?

50 FPS isnt bad at all, but if you want more then draw distance is what is killing you if there aren't any hardware issues which there dont seem to be.

Also what areas do you get 50 in? I can get over 60 in some and 20 in others with max settings and a 9800 pro on max (not that I use it). If you get 50 in places like ashenvale or other demanding areas then everything is as it should be with high settings. Cant coment on HL2, but 60 fps sure doesnt sound bad.
      Last edited by fr86; 12-26-2004, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Yup, vertical sync is on, and both games are on max resolution, everything maxed out. Some guy told me he had a fx-53 w/ a x800 xt running 150-200 fps in hl2. Im not as concerned with my hl-2 fps, although I do think it is pretty low. Im more concerned about WoW, with its not so high recommended system, I think I should be getting around 70-100 at least, even on the max setting, although I could be wrong .
        Another guy told me he was running a 2.0 pen4 with a 9800 pro overclocked to an xt running at an average of 70 fps in hl2. Is this new pc not able to run pc games at close 2 top performance? Thanks.
        Last edited by Whitedevil87; 12-27-2004, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Ok, I actaully think I figured it out, I had vertical sync on. Although, my game seems to be pausing about every 15 min. This happned even before I had turned vertical sync off so I dont think its that. And sometimes hl-2 just chuggs, getting to as low as 12 fps, what does virtical sync do anyway? Oh well, any thoughts? Thanks for the tip btw, much appreciated :)
          Last edited by Whitedevil87; 12-27-2004, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I think Vsync tries to match FPS to monitors refresh rates. 50 fps is nothing to complain about, I doubt you can tell the difference between 50 and 100 in WoW.

Comment

Turn vsync off. You only need it if tearing annoys you.

Comment

A guy getting 150+ frames-per-second shouldn't concern you for several reasons: You can't phyiscally tell the difference between that and much lower framerates; what settings and resolution being used can affect that alot... my 2GHz P4 and 9800 Pro can get those kinds of framerates on HL2 with low enough settings; he could just be full of it, making his claims irrelevant (though I'd say they are already). Anyway, if you have vsync on, don't expect framerates of 100 or more FPS...

Vertical sync stops your video card from rendering more frames per second than your monitor's refresh rate, which is how many times it redraws the screen in one second. If framerates exceed the level, you will see image tearing, which is pretty much exactly what the name would indicate, and it can be worse than low framerates IMO. Your refresh rate should be 72HTz or greater, or else there will be noticable flickering that can actually damage eyesight over time. There's never a reason to have your framerates higher than 72FPS because you won't be able to tell the difference. Bascially, 72 frame per seconds is the most your brain is capable of noticing, but don't take that to mean we see things at 72 frames per second, because we live in an analog world, not a digital...

Anyway, vsync will slightly reduce overall framerates if they are within about 20 FPS of your refresh rate, but it should never bring them as low as 12FPS. With framerates that low, either your system (video card, processor, RAM, or a combination) cannot handle the settings you have or there is some sort of issue (driver problem, too many background programs, damaged hardware, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                X