• Show
Clear All

• 6800 performance question

Specs:
    Intell motherboard(forget the model)
    p 2.8 ghz
    512 pc 3200
    Geforce 6800 ultra bfg OC

Getting relatively low fps(30-40) in games like half life 2 with 1600*1200 resoltuion, detail high, and AA4x, Also in far cry with 1600*1200 AA4x at around x<40fps. Are these exepted value for fps, or is my comptuer running a little slower then usual?
    I thought i had built up a pretty strong system but when compared to everyone else it doesnt look so good.....what should i bet getting?

Re: 6800 performance question

well that 2.8ghz cpu is definitly bottlenecking the Big****ingGfxcard.... And I wouldn't say 30-40fps is low.

Comment

well then i have one last question....does having a refresh rate set on 60mhz do anything to prohibit performance?

Comment

If vsync is on, then yes, it won't go above 60, but prevents the tearing problem some people have. Clcro, i don't think that's low, considering its high detail HL2, and your at 16x12, and with AA. Your Pentium 4 is of course probably the biggest bottleneck but 30-40 fps is completely reasonable in your situation.

Comment

k good, i was just making sure. i put alot of money into this and wanted to make sure i was getting wut i put into it

Comment

Those numbers are about right for that machine. You'd need a faster processor to get better numbers (you should be using an Athlon 64 anyway). I wouldn't be complaining about 30+ FPS in HL2 at 1600x1200 with AA and highest settnings, though...

As for your refresh rate, set it at the highest your monitor will support. Go for at least 72. Anything less can slowly damage your eyesight over time, and you should be able to notice the flicker anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X