6600GT vs. 6800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6600GT vs. 6800

I have 250-300 (US) to spend on a new vid card, but I don't know wether to get the 6600GT, or the 6800. One one hand, the 6800 has a more advanced chip, but on the other hand, the 6600GT has GDDR3 memory. Help please.

Re: 6600GT vs. 6800

Hey ,I bought a 6800 for $257us sweet card overclocks well it is an xfx 6800 standard . Go with bang for the buck ...save some cash for next upgrade woot ..

Comment

Just get the 6800. It's better; that's all there is to it.

Comment

Thats what I thought, thanks guys.

Yawgm0th: You are god.

Comment

Well with the money you have the 6800 looks like a good deal, but if your system isn't all out powerful on it's own you may get some bottlenecking with the 6800. It all depends on your system! With your system, I'd say there may be a chance of bottlenecking, since your Processor is below 3 ghz. But i'd say its probably unlikely. Just think about upping your processor sometime soon.

Comment

The GDDR3 memory on the 6600GT won't help you one bit as far as end performance goes, since the card is even further crippled than the 6800. I have an XFX 6800 refitted with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (the stock XFX cooler seemed at a little inadequate but if you don't overclock it will do more than enough). It is a wonderful card, and its among the cheapest of the 6800s.

Not to put down the 6600GT of course, because performance per dollar ratio is one of the best, up there along with the 6800 and 9700 Pro. And we know the 9700 is out of the question.

Comment

I believe the some of the best advice to be had is found here! It's where i personally have learned much, that being said think I would consider a different option. If you are talking pci-x, maybe the 6600gt could concievably be the better option. With N4-sli just hitting the stores the money saved could be put towards the newer motherboards. Asus it already introducing their first 2X pci configurations. One 6600gt could handle most anything out today. By moving to the newer board with a second slot alvailable in the future for sli configuration. It would seem to me to be the most inexpensive way to build an upgradable machine for the least with the most bang.

You didn't state what your cpu is, but if it is 939 capable. You would have a flexible base for excellent transional adaptation with what comes down the road in the future. In fact I myself am re-evaluating my options and putting off upgrades right now for just such an eventuality now. One thing I'm rather sure of is N4-sli is going to change things dramatically and faster than we anticipate. Feed back from the "Pros from Dover" on this would be appreciated greatly.

EDIT:
              Reading further through the boards I see where YawgmOth posted similiar thoughts, see told ya i was learning!
              Last edited by Day; 12-21-2004, 02:13 AM. Reason: reading further!

Comment

Why does every one keep refering to PCI-E as PCI-X??? not cool.

Comment

Well here's something new you can learn, Day...

PCI-X, or the extended peripheral component interconnect (PCI) bus, is not the same thing as PCI-E, A.K.A. PCI Express. PCI-X is basically a faster version of PCI used on servers for Gigabit Ethernet, SCSI, and SATA controller cards, among other things. It isn't used with video cards, and won't be used much at all once PCI-E starts seeing widespread use on all server platforms.

NF4 SLI is nice, but kind o firrelevant in this situation. If you can dish out another $500 or so for an SLI board and socket 939 processor (and probaly a new PSU), go for it. But I'm given the impression that this is just a video card upgrade.

As for bottlenecking, I wouldn't worry about. In most games, it you'll see advantage from a 6800 over anything weaker. You might not see much difference in more CPU-limited games, such as Unreal Tournament 2004, but games that use more GPU power, such as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, will see advantage from more expensive cards. Plus, it's more useful when you next upgrade the system since you won't really need a new video card (though I'd imagine you'd go with PCI-E for your next full system upgrade).

Comment

although not a card of your choice, you can pick up an ASUS 6800gt for 399 CDN. Again, gotta know where too look, and most of the time that will be a small-ish local computer shop.

Comment

The Asus 6800GT comes with 128MB DDR1 memory clocked at 700mhz

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
                        The Asus 6800GT comes with 128MB DDR1 memory clocked at 700mhz
                        Im aware its lower then others. But it still beats the normal 6800s. Slap some ramsinks on it and your good to go. :D heh

Comment

The Asus 6800 and 6800GT both feature specs vastly different from all the other brands, on top of different prices. Personally, I wouldn't really consider one.

Comment

They may be different but they arent that different; the core is the same isnt it?

Besides, adding ramsinks on the ram chip will make the air coming from the fan go through the ram sinks, which will allow some hefty OCing.

The card is still able to achieve 10k in 3dmark03~

Comment

ASUS does make a couple regular cards, but here's the thing with the oddly-speced ones:

ASUS 6800GT V9999GT/TD/128
                              ASUS 6800 V9999 Gamer Edition/TD/256M
                              A normal 6800
                              A normal 6800GT.

What they call a 6800GT is basically a 6800 with the pipelines of a GT, only for $50 more than a regular 6800 (not worth it IMO). Their 6800 is a GT with the pipelines of a normal 6800, but costs more than a GT (certainly not worth it).

RAM sinks are irrelevant since those can go on any card... Besides, a replacement cooler will actually do a lot more than RAM sinks, in most cases. RAM sinks don't do much, usually.

Comment

Working...
                              X