should I upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I upgrade?

I currently have a geForce FX5600. I cant run Doom3 very well. Half-Life 2 runs good. I was wondering what would be a good card so I can run max settings. Budget between $0-300.

I am getting a 3.0ghz proc and I already have 1gb of RAM.

Re: should I upgrade?

I dont know buch about the exchange rate but i think it shuldnt be too much off here in british pounds so probably a good card to go with that system for $300 is realy the 6800 ultra or a 6800nu or if u didnt want to go that high then maybe a 6600gt wuld do gr8 along with that 1gb ram u got and 3.0ghz cpu ya getting.

Comment

For a little less then $300 you could get a GeForce 6800 It doens't really matter what brand you choose but I chose the XFX because it is a good price and also includes games.

I dont know buch about the exchange rate but i think it shuldnt be too much off here in british pounds so probably a good card to go with that system for $300 is realy the 6800 ultra or a 6800nu or if u didnt want to go that high then maybe a 6600gt wuld do gr8 along with that 1gb ram u got and 3.0ghz cpu ya getting.
      In the US a 6800 Ultra would be a little over $500
      Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-13-2004, 03:44 PM.

Comment

oh ok lol i told u i didnt know much about the exchange rate lol but a 6800 ultra in uk pounds is about £380 or sumert i thought besides the difference between a regular 6800 and the 6800 ultra isnt realy worth the money is it?

Comment

I wouldn't really spend the money on a 6800 Ultra as a 6800GT is cheaper and is basically the same card with a lower clock and memory speed. So it can easily be overclocked to Ultra speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunty313
            difference between a regular 6800 and the 6800 ultra isnt realy worth the money is it?
            The 6800 and 6800Ultra are vastly different... But I'd get either a 6800 or 6800GT for reasons I and Kooldrew have already stated.

Comment

If the 6800 GT fits your budget, it would be the way to go. As stated above, it is the same as an Ultra with lower clock settings that can easily be changed to over what the Ultra has with proper cooling.
              This card will compliment your 3 gig/1 gig setup nicely. Just make sure your power supply is up to the task.

Comment

Where's the ATI? Jeez not a soul even meantioned an ATI card.

A 9800 Pro XT would be a good selection I would say for that price range. Esp for that computer, a 6800 ultra may have a bottleneck, but a 9800 would have no bottle neck whatsoever. It all depends on what you want to have and what kind of money you wanna save on.

Comment

Working...
                X