Radeon 9600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9600

ok i just bought this for $118 bucks and it sucks, its the 256 mb version its put out by saphire and in counterstrike whenever a smoke is thrown it lags to **** why? i have a amd 2400 thouroughbred processor overclocked to 2.08 ghtz 512 ddr ram wondering if i should pick up another stick of 512? should i try and sell this card or wat? it makes me so mad

Re: Radeon 9600

not a good choice of vid card, sell it and see if you can find a 9700 or better, im not sure on prices as im in the UK...

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
      not a good choice of vid card, sell it and see if you can find a 9700 or better, im not sure on prices as im in the UK...
      Wrong there, and bad advice...

There's nothing wrong with the card. If you're having problems with Counter-Strike, i'ts likely your own fault in some way or another. CS won't have problems with crappy onboard video, and a 9600 is just more than it's capable of taking advantage of. Have you actually installed the latest Catalysts from www.ati.com? Are you running anything in the background (this is most likely the problem as what you're getting should indicate a CPU problem)? Did you have the same problems before getting the 9600?

Also, what settings (resolution, AA and AF, etc.) are you trying to run the game with?

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Wrong there, and bad advice...

There's nothing wrong with the card. If you're having problems with Counter-Strike, i'ts likely your own fault in some way or another. CS won't have problems with crappy onboard video, and a 9600 is just more than it's capable of taking advantage of. Have you actually installed the latest Catalysts from www.ati.com? Are you running anything in the background (this is most likely the problem as what you're getting should indicate a CPU problem)? Did you have the same problems before getting the 9600?

Also, what settings (resolution, AA and AF, etc.) are you trying to run the game with?
          I get the exact thing with my pc too. (i upgraded to 9800) i close everything b4 i game... i have no idea what is causing it...

Comment

For starters, both of you should check what renderer you're using in CS (can't believe I forgot that). It's somewhere in the graphics options, but you can just between Direct3D, software, and OpenGL. You should be using Direct 3D, but give OpenGL a shot if D3D has problems. If it's on software for some reason, (ie your previous video didn't support OpenGL and/or D3D properly, which is quite likely), that could explain poor performance.

Comment

Well i tried both the d3d and open gl i usually play on open gl but it still does it... the smoke never lagged my computer if i recall before i had put the 9600 in, i even put the smoke on low quality and it still does it.

Comment

i have it on D3D.... it never lagged b4...

Comment

And what drivers are you using for the card, specifically?

Comment

well i installed the new catlyst drivers and it still is not running that great, i mean i can play farcry in medium perfectly but not a game thats like 4 years old... i try playing farcry in high quality however its not that smooth is that because of my processor or not enough ram or both?

Comment

This is where my comment about the card being insufficient comes in ^
                      To play Farcry smoothly on "high" you'll need a radeon 9700\9800 or better

Comment

yea i figured that... also i just tried d3d and the menu was like divided into squares the words were not clear and the fps was pretty damn bad i threw a smoke and could barely move

Comment

I'm using the newest cataylst drivers... just downloaded them like 3 weeks ago..

I play Far Cry on Ultra high and 1024 by 768 i get 50 fps!

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmep
                            I'm using the newest cataylst drivers... just downloaded them like 3 weeks ago..

I play Far Cry on Ultra high and 1024 by 768 i get 50 fps!
                            What cpu do you have?

Comment

Farcry is mostly dependent on the video card, but obviously you cant expect optimal performance with a Duron 1.2ghz....

Comment

Working...
                              X