Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best video card ?

Re: Best video card ?

The most powerful card of that bunch is 6600GT, it is also one of the newest generation cards from Nvidia (has features such as hardware programmable video encoding, also does mpeg4, divx encode-recode in real-time which I think is very important for lowering cpu usage) . none of the 5700 cards you mentioned are sufficient for most desired games of today (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Farcry, UT2004, Halo 2 etc..) and they lack these wonderful features. R9800 is also good but the extra price for 6600GT is more than justified by its performance and features. Soon enough we shall see software taking advantage of these features in 6600gt architecture.
    Did I mention it has HDTV support, better video quality, Shader Model 3.0 etc...
    wow i wrote features 5 times !!!

Comment

Agreed. The 9800 Pro and 6600GT are the only I would consider. The GT is better, and it's worth the extra money it'll cost, in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by ufuk21p
        The most powerful card of that bunch is 6600GT, it is also one of the newest generation cards from Nvidia (has features such as hardware programmable video encoding, also does mpeg4, divx encode-recode in real-time which I think is very important for lowering cpu usage) . none of the 5700 cards you mentioned are sufficient for most desired games of today (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Farcry, UT2004, Halo 2 etc..) and they lack these wonderful features. R9800 is also good but the extra price for 6600GT is more than justified by its performance and features. Soon enough we shall see software taking advantage of these features in 6600gt architecture.
        Did I mention it has HDTV support, better video quality, Shader Model 3.0 etc...
        wow i wrote features 5 times !!!
        I agree, however for around $70 more you can get a 6800 gt. you might be cpu bottlenecked though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglee
          I agree, however for around $70 more you can get a 6800 gt. you might be cpu bottlenecked though.
          err.. where did u see a 6800gt for 380$ canadian?

If newegg or buy.com shipped to canada the 6600gt would only cost only 269$ cause of our rising dollar.

Comment

He was thinking U.S. prices. A 6800GT is around $380 U.S.

See how much a regular 6800 costs. That's between the 6600GT and 6800GT in price and performance. It costs about $50-$60 U.S. more than an AGP 6600GT ATM, but that will chang ewhen prices on the 6600GT come down. Right now, it or a 9800 Pro are better in terms of bang-for-buck, and I'll bet you can get a 9800 Pro for cheaper than that price up there. It's only a $30 or so difference over here, and our money is worth considerably more per dollar. Plus, it (the AGP version of the 6600GT) just came out so availability in Canada should be low and prices should be high, and I'd also guess that ATI tends to be cheaper over there, too, since it's a Canadian comapany and that's the trend seen in many countries other than the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
              He was thinking U.S. prices. A 6800GT is around $380 U.S.

See how much a regular 6800 costs. That's between the 6600GT and 6800GT in price and performance. It costs about $50-$60 U.S. more than an AGP 6600GT ATM, but that will chang ewhen prices on the 6600GT come down. Right now, it or a 9800 Pro are better in terms of bang-for-buck, and I'll bet you can get a 9800 Pro for cheaper than that price up there. It's only a $30 or so difference over here, and our money is worth considerably more per dollar. Plus, it (the AGP version of the 6600GT) just came out so availability in Canada should be low and prices should be high, and I'd also guess that ATI tends to be cheaper over there, too, since it's a Canadian comapany and that's the trend seen in many countries other than the U.S.
              Yes I was thinking USD, didn't notice the Canadian part in your post...

Comment

Working...
              X