No announcement yet.

Buying an Nvidia card, trying to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an Nvidia card, trying to decide.

Hi everyone, I'm from america (unfortunately) so assume everything in american dollars please.

I am in the market to buy a video card that will run everquest 2 well, and im a bit confused. you see everquest two needs a good card (preferably nvidia) because it is incredibly graphically intensive, and there are so many different cards.. from so many different companies that i dont know what to choose.

basically im looking for a fast, powerful card that isnt TOO expensive and has at least 256mb of video ram. now i THINK that different card manufactureres have different archetectures for their cards so the main points for me are speed, convienence, and modularity when it comes to cooling devices.also i would like something that would be compatable with games using next generation graphics engines.... preferably for the next 2 years or so.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by smooman; 11-04-2004, 06:57 PM.

Re: Buying an Nvidia card, trying to decide.

What exactly do you consider "TOO expensive"? You could get a 6800GT and it will perform real well for a while. What exactly is your budget?

Comment

well 500 dollars american would be way out of budget.. i would grudgingly pay something around 300 ish.. but i wouldnt be happy

hope that helps.. oh and why did you decide on that particular card.. i am somewhat out of the loop with computer componants so any info would be great

thanks for your assistance

Comment

I reccomended a 6800GT as it is a very good card. It is better then the X800 Pro and I knew that a 6800U/X800 XT PE would be expensive from the looks of your first post. The 6800GT is a great card because it is basically the same as a 6800 Ultra except has lower clock speeds. It has the same amount of pixel pipelines and everything else so it is a really good card to choose if you can afford it. If you are plannign on overclocking it would be good too as you most likely will reach 6800U speeds easily.

I suggest looking at this:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-04.html

That should help you decide what is the best card for how much you are willing to spend. Also if you don't mind buying off ebay I reccomend doign that. Last time I checked many people were selling 6800GT's for like $250. Just make sure to check out the users feedback and stuff. Many people buy Pc parts off ebay without any problems and I may reccomend it in yoru case if you feel comfortable with it

Comment

with overclocking the 6800, if you overclocked it, would you be able to do it without using machine based heat dispersion? im trying to build a completely silent PC and i will probably use some sort of heat piping system for my video card.

thank you for the help

Comment

One more thing... what company should i buy my card from as far as archetecture? i will probably be replacing the heat sink with something different so if there is one thats better for that sorta thing.. please let me know.

Comment

You will be able to overclock your card regardles of your cooling setup. How well it will overclock is dependant on it, but I wouldn't worry about it...

Get a regular GeForce 6800. It's not that much worse than a GT or Ultra, and a good one will be about $270. I'd suggest eVGA.

Comment

thanks yawgmoth, and kool for the info.. now all thats left is to buy it

Comment

Working...
                X