dont want to bust the bank!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont want to bust the bank!!

hey peeps, im new here, but iim prety computer savvy....well ne way, i was wondering if theres ne cards out there that'l play doom 3 and upcoming half-life 2..im dying to play em..my card is running only 68 mb of memmory, and can BARELY run the sims two, and i know for sure it wont run half-life 2 ....so, well, im running a vga adapter, with windows xp, 60 G hard drive, and 250 mb of memmory..and im running a P4 at 2.80 GHZ..im looking for a card with atleast 156 mb of memmory without busting my budget of $300..ne help would be much abliged

Re: dont want to bust the bank!!

If that is in US dollars you could buy a 6800 for slightly under $300.

Comment

You still won't be able to play Doom 3. You'll need at least another 256MB of RAM. I'd suggest you grab a stick (assuing you're in the U.S.) of Corsair Value Select PC3200 for about $45 off of Newegg.com, along with an eVGA GeForce 6800 for about $270. I think there's also a slightly more expensive model of the same card that comes with Doom 3, so you could get that and justify the cost because it will come with Doom 3.

Comment

I also think you wld be better off spending some cash on some sys mem!!! then you can

Comment

If your really lookin to get best value-for-money, look into eBay. You'll find 6800's there for cheaper then you'll get at newegg.
          Be mindful of the perils that surround bidding though. The worst one I've seen so far is ppl claiming a 6800 to be 256mb, when its 128mb at 256bit. So make sure you know what your doin.

Comment

If buying off ebay and want to use the $300 then you should be able to find a 6800GT slightly under $300. I think last time I checked they were going for around $250

Comment

Originally posted by over_kill
              hey peeps, im new here, but iim prety computer savvy....well ne way, i was wondering if theres ne cards out there that'l play doom 3 and upcoming half-life 2..im dying to play em..my card is running only 68 mb of memmory, and can BARELY run the sims two, and i know for sure it wont run half-life 2 ....so, well, im running a vga adapter, with windows xp, 60 G hard drive, and 250 mb of memmory..and im running a P4 at 2.80 GHZ..im looking for a card with atleast 156 mb of memmory without busting my budget of $300..ne help would be much abliged
              Gfx card quality is not measured by amount of memory.
              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
              asus a7n8xe-dlx
              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
              bfg 6800gt
              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
              samsung dvdrw
              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
              mushkin 550w