x800 pro or 6800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x800 pro or 6800?

i am having touble deciding on a new vid card. i am a gamer an play a variety of games. i know the 6800 is better for doom3, but i also like farcry an ut2004.
    on ebay there seems to be more x800 pros w/ 256mb, than 6800's. both are similarilyy priced.
    when hl2 comes out, it is supposed to run better on an x800 than a gf6800

which is the best all around chipset?

Re: x800 pro or 6800?

Always be careful when looking at computer components on eBay, but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

HL2 is supposed to do better on the ATI boards, or at least this is the synopsis so far by testing the HL Source coding, which is what HL2 utilizes.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Personally, I would look on Newegg for cards, rather than eBay. Brand new cards will usually come with nice packages, too. You can get games like FarCry and Doom 3 for free with a card priced at the same as one without a nice package.

You should also note the difference between the GeForce 6800 and the Geforce 6800GT. The 6800 will not perform on-par with the X800 Pro (well, maybe in Doom 3), but the GT will. The regular 6800 also has 128MB of DDR RAM, while the GT has 256MB of GDDR3 RAM and has faster RAM and core speeds. The GT also costs about $100 U.S. more.

You should look at benchmarks on sites (I'd recommend Anandtech and maybe Tom's Hardware Guide) and see which card performs better in the games you play or will play. There's quite a lot of varying levels in performance in different games between the cards. We can't simply recommend which card to take. You need to study for yourself (unless your budget restricts you to under $300, in which case the regular 6800 is the only viable choice).

Comment

basically i have decided to go w/ a 256mb version of either card. from what i've read only the 6800gt and ultra come w/ 256mb. both of wich are considerablly more than a x800 pro 256.

if a card is listed on ebay as new in original packaging and the seller has a good rating, am i not safe to buy it from there?

i will check out newegg again. although it is not CDN, they do have a large selection of products. NCIX.com is a CDN retailer up here in the great white north. i will compare all around pricing w/ shipping and go from there?

Comment

Over here, they are pretty close in price. The GT is cheaper, in fact. If the X800 Pro is significantly cheaper, go for it.

Comment

i've decided on the 6800gt after looking at benchmarks of many different games.

one question is raised though? some benches for the exact same game had different scores/fps? is that because of test rig? if that is so, is an amd athlon xp 64 a better platform for gaming than a p4 system?

also, with these new vid cards reaching huge proportions, will they fit my DFI lanparty UT nf3 250gb?

i think an agp 6800gt may interfere with the chipset heatsink?

looking at a gainward 6800 now and it requires 2 slots because of the fans
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mcgirk; 09-22-2004, 08:43 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

The differences will mainly be due to test systems or the exact demo that was run, but mostly it will be due to test systems used. And yes, AMD 64 has been killing Intel for gaming. It is the processor to get if you're planning on hours of interactive fun.

As to the Northbridge sink, how tall is it? I know that several of the mainboard manufacturers are putting low-profile sinks on the chipset for just this reason. You might check out the DFI website and check into it. If you can't get a firm answer, shoot off a line to their support folks and see if they answer. (I'm assuming you are going to buy this board since you refer to an Intel rig in your sig?)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

An Athlon 64 system will perfrom much better. If you're getting a new board and CPU on top of the card, it's probably the best choice (if Canadian prices are even close to ours).

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                  As to the Northbridge sink, how tall is it? I know that several of the mainboard manufacturers are putting low-profile sinks on the chipset for just this reason. You might check out the DFI website and check into it. If you can't get a firm answer, shoot off a line to their support folks and see if they answer. (I'm assuming you are going to buy this board since you refer to an Intel rig in your sig?)

as you can see from the attached pic of the board. a large agp card like the gainward 6800gt, which requires 2 slots, would be sitting on top of the heatsink. are you saying that the heatsink could be less in height than the height of the agp slot? the agp slot is only a few mm's high. i am doubtful that the chipset and heatsink together would be less than agp slot height???

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                  (I'm assuming you are going to buy this board since you refer to an Intel rig in your sig?)
                  not sure what you meant by this. a shot at intel perhaps?

Comment

i stand corrected. the heatsink is low enough for large agp cards. i saw a pic from a different angle with an agp card installed. i also saw a pic with a vantec chipset cooler that still had some clearance.

sorry to doubt you darth

Comment

would the difference in pipelines X800 Pro (12) 6800 (16) make a great deal of difference?

Comment

The GeForce 6800 only has 12, but the GT and Ultra have 16; the X800 Pro has a much greater clock speed, but a slower memory speed... These and other differences are why you really need to research and decide based on what games you play. In some games, clock speed is much more important than the memory. In others (Doom 3 being a great example, with its extremely detailed textures), memory makes all the difference.

Comment

First off i wanna say be careful of what you get on ebay some one could be selling you a MX440 and not a X800pro or 6800. Me personly i would go with the GeForce 6800 ultra or get the BFG 6800GT they have much more pipelines and they have support for pixle shader which looks really good on DOOM3. HL2 is made to be played on the ATI cards but the 6800's will do just the same. Also they are priced just about the same the Geforce and the ATI cards so it just comes down to which brand you like and what you really wanna do with it. Me personally i would get the GeForce 6800. but make sure which ever one you get its the 256MB and NOT the 128MB casue you will just screw yourself over with the 128MB

Comment

Working...
                          X