• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these cards is better?

radeon 9800

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-361&depa=1

or this sapphire radeon 9800

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-340&depa=1

I'm going to return a radeon 9800 128mb that i got at best buy for $250.00 for one of these *total ripoff.* Thanx

Re: Which of these cards is better?

Stock performance will be close to the same but the Sapphire board will likely overclock better.

**Note the italics... this is not a guarantee**
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Both are bad purchases IMO as you can get a GeForce 6800 for about $13 more and it will perform much better, even though it's a 128MB card.

As for the 9800 Pros, Darth is right. While it's not guaranteed, the Sapphire will probably overclock better. Unless Newegg changes what it ships at some point in time (which wouldn't be suprising), both the 128MB (suprisingly) and the 256MB versions of the Sapphire 9800 Pro ship using 9800XT parts and can be most likely be flashed to the XT (again, not guaranteed), with some relatively cheap third-party cooling.

Comment

Um... I think I read somewhere that the 256mb 9800 Pro is basicly the same as a 128mb 9800 Pro. The only big difference is that you can flash it to 256mb 9800xt which is a lot better than 128mb 9800xt. So, go for the 256mb if you want to flash it, but make sure you get a compatible one that is able to be flash.

Comment

Originally posted by jd53887
          Um... I think I read somewhere that the 256mb 9800 Pro is basicly the same as a 128mb 9800 Pro.
          No, it has twice as much memory... That won't be much difference (or even a performance hit) in performance, but in some newer games (Doom 3) it helps performance. There's also a better chance of getting the R360 and XT memory if you get an XT. But not enough to make it worth even close to as much as a GeForce 6800.

Comment

Working...
          X