Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Problems..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Problems..

Hi, I bought the Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb a while back ago..At first it was working great then after the first couple of months it starting acting up. The first of these problems were VPU Recoverer Errors. Mostly when i was playing games. I have tried new drivers, tried old ones..The same problem. So now I am thinking that it is the power supply that is the problem. My system specs are..AMD 2800+, Enermax 350 watt power supply, 120 gb Western Digital Hard drive, A7V8X-MX Asus Motherboard I know I have the AGP drivers for my motherboard..Im running 8 Fans and a fan controller. On top of that the exterior power supply fan isnt spinning.I am pretty sure that it is the power supply but I am not positive..Does anyone have any thought?

Re: Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb Problems..

Since you're planning on replacing the PSU anyway, do that first and see if it fixes your stability issues. If it does, then great. If it does not, then see about returning the card under RMA to get it replaced.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Can I do that even though the card is 9 months old?

Comment

* 6 months, sorry.

Comment

Should be able to just fine. Companies warranty their products for at least 1 year on the low-end. Just make sure to go through who built the card (i.e. Sapphire, PowerColor, or ATi themselves, but only if it's a built by ATi unit)

Comment

Ya my fan stopped spinning on my p/s in the past too. Is normally a clear sign that it's time to get a new one.

I noticed you said the most errors come from gaming. The 9800 Pro is a great card with only one true problem. The stock fan/heatsink that it comes with sucks, and i mean it is really crap. Play a game for 2 or 3 hours, then feel your card. Even if you don't o/c it the thing is like a fricken inferno. Needless to say when a card gets that hot bad things start to happen (artifacts,glitches etc...).

I recommend you take off the piece of junk heatsink/fan combo that comes with and replace it with an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. The Silencer is perhaps one of the best card coolers i have seen yet. =]

After you replace your p/s, and if things run smoothly i still recommend getting a new heatsink/fan for your card asap.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your replies guys..I REALLY appreciate it..Im going to go with Fartmccrablice and get a new heatsink and a new powersupply.

Comment

Would changing the heatsink/fan on the card void the warranty? Then you'd be screwed if that still didn't fix the problem.

Comment

I ran across the same issues when trying to play Halflife 2. My hardware is AMD Athlon 64 3200+, AOpen AK86-L, 1 Gb RAM, ATI AIW Radeon 9600XP 128, XP Pro. I upgraded my power supply from 350W to 460W and updated the device drivers still experiencing the same problem. Any suggestions?

Comment

Call up ATi tech support? Do they offer it?
                    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

Working...
                    X