• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Leadtek A170 w/ Intel I845 Chipset

Ok I'm putting a computer together with
    Soyo Fire Dragon board,
    Intel I845b Chipset
    Leadtek Winfast A170 T AGP Video Card.
    But here is my problem. When I boot I get error sounds telling me there are problems with the video, and I get blank screen. I took out the Leadtek card and put another one of my old AGP cards in and it works fine, So then I took the Leadtek card threw it in another one of my machines (Matsonic w/ Via KT133 chipset) and that card works fine in this machine. Has anyone had this problem before, or can you help me troubleshoot? If you ask questions Ill be able to provide detailed info for what you want.
    I've look around on boards and FAQs but havn't found anything that works.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

Will need some more details to work with? What operating system are you running and what exactly do you mean by blank screen?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

it doesn't even get to an operating system. When you turn the computer on it beeps 4 times and the monitor never displays any RAM counting etc. At the time I was messing with this last night I didn't even have an OS on yet (building this comp from scratch) but now I put another card in and have 98 SE on.
      Maybe this is crazy, but does anyone know the voltage required by the Leadtek card? None of my manuals mention it, but in my cmos I can adjust that for my AGP slot while I have a temp card in.

Thanks again

Comment

ok i may be totally wrong here but does that card have 4x AGP? maybe that mobo dont support it......Just a thought.

Comment

just looked, the mboard is AGP 4X compliant.
          and the card is 4x compliant
          Here is a link to the mboard info.
          http://www.soyousa.com/syp4idragon.html
          I'm putting this compter together for someone else and its driving me insane that I can't get this video card running.
          In the past with a Geforce2 I had it lose its cooling fan then semi go out on me....It would not work in the machine it previously worked fine in(when tested by reseller, didnt work for him either), but yet, when I threw it in my Matsonic it would work fine... so is it possible this is another one of those cases? I've searched the net for hardware problems, but since both the board and graphics card are new, there isn't much out yet.
          The only thing coming to mind is the voltage since I can adjust my AGP bus voltage on that board, should I try upping the voltage and then testing, or is my risk big in doing that?

Comment

Upping the Vagp a couple of notches shouldn't pose a big risk

Are you shure the A170 works?
            maybe it's a DOA

Comment

I bumped it up the voltage as high at it would let me (1.69v I think) and got no change. But yes the board works fine in my Matsonic. and I even have something from Leadtek saying it should work with the Inter 845 chipsets:confused:
              Im waiting on a reply from Soyo tech support, maybe they have something to try, if nothing Ill try a different card.

Comment

i just went thru this with an msi board for athlon xp that card requires a significant amount of power to power it up i can tell you right now thats the problem, my buddy just said or the power supply msi is fixing the baords to run this card for free so i hear your baord i dont know but its doing the same thing mine did i went nuts to trying to figure it out it took some calls but thats why later gator

Comment

I think if you look here you will see that card requires 3.3 volts, unfortunatly the AGP pro slot on the fire Dragon only provides 1.5v (1.7 max) :mad:

Comment

ok, thx, I called Soyo and they were very helpful and told me how to check to make sure a card is compliant. Sure enough this wasn't so I returned it and stepped down to a Geforce3 since my graphics work isn't that demanding.

Comment

gah the last post was me, I forgot to login.

Comment

Working...
                      X