ATI 9800pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 9800pro

I know some of the sapphire radeon 9800pros have 128bit memory instead of 256mb, is there a way to be sure or just buy from a trusted site like newegg. com?

you mention 128bit and 256mb
    what are you worried about less memory (mb) or a criplled memory interface (bit)
    if its the amount of memory then it should say in the name or specs of the card. if its memory interface then dont get an SE. i think this is the only card with a crippled memory interface
    from your post i think you may be meaning the amount of memory?

Comment

You do mention 128bit then 256mb. I'm guessing you meant 256bit and are referring to the crippled 9800 Pro that Sapphire is putting out. One of the easiest ways to tell is by the price. You'll see the cards with the 128 bit interface running between $160 and 170 while standard boards are around $200 (I'm sure someone will post a link to a great deal on a standard board now that I said that :-). You can also tell if there is a picture of the card supplied. The 128 bit version uses a different PCB which has all the RAM lined up in a row while the standard 9800 pro board will have the memory laid out in a L shape. I think the the 128 bit version also uses the older power connector while the standard model uses the 4 pin molex connectorl. And if all else fails look at the descripiton of the item......I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing business with a site that didn't clearly list the board as a 128 bit version.

Comment

yeah, I'm a jackass, it was late, I meant 128bit and 256bit.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-268&depa=0

Comment

If we are talking about the memory bus then all R9800P's have a 256-bit one (only R9800SE's have a 128-bit memory bus).

If you're talking about memory capacity then yes you can get both 128MB and 256MB versions of the R9800P.

Comment

That's incorrect Wayout44, Sapphire makes a 9800 Pro with the 128 bit memory interface.

Comment

Let's see it, then. They can call it a 9800 Pro all they want, but it's not.

Comment

Well if you would have looked a little closer when you were on Newegg you would have seen it:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-369&depa=1

It is a 9800 Pro chipset on the board, it's just on a different PCB with a 128 bit memory interface. I'm not defending this card by any means.....but it does exist.

Comment

Originally posted by kwhite37
                    That's incorrect Wayout44, Sapphire makes a 9800 Pro with the 128 bit memory interface.
                    Then by ATi's definition it's not a Pro but an SE plus Sapphire does not advertise it as a Pro either.

Comment

In Neweggs description it is advertised as having the Pro chipset, but it doesn't say pro in the name and says 128-bit in the name. It could just be a mistake as it retains all of the qualities of a 9800 SE (even the price looks SEish). I still see no evidence of Sapphire calling it a Pro.

Comment

the powercolor cards have 5ns hynix, if anyone's interested

Comment

Here's a couple pictures of the box. I would say Sapphire IS marketing it as a 9800 Pro.

http://www.ati-news.de/Bilder/News/S...Pro128bit4.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba...age/wsap2.html

Comment

The "128 bit edition," huh... How dumb....

Oh well. As long as you don't get something that says it's 128-bit, I wouldn't wory about it.

Comment

the 9800 pro 128 bit edition was probably misinterpreted by my ancestors the japanese........notice it's a sticker on the box...........they meant meg.........regardless, the box calls it a pro.........it's probably the oem w/ a black pcb..........what's the price? also, you can get a hercules for around 195

Comment

Working...
                              X