ati radeon 9800 - low scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ati radeon 9800 - low scores

Some of you may remember me from my oddity with a radeon 9500 :)

anyway, I've upgraded to a radeon 9800 pro. I am still getting very screwy scores in 3dmark01 though :(
    14232 3d marks.
    i know this is quite low.. can anyone help me with this??
    specs:
    pentium 4 2.8c (800 fsb, hyperthreading)
    windows xp professional
    512 mb single channel kingston 400 mhz ddr pc 3200
    Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro
    Asus p4p800

any help is greatly appreciated. (BTW my 3dmark03 scores seem to be right. ~5600)
    -IceBlade

Get another stick of ram and run dual channel. You're seriously crippling that system by only running one stick.

Comment

hmm. are you sure? i just cant get any more hardware for my system right now lol

Comment

Yes I'm sure. You cant run an 865 system like yours in single channel. Horrible performance.

Comment

hmm... well i dont think ill be able to get another stick of ram any time soon :(

Comment

I'd look to see if you could sell your 1 stick of 512 to someone, ebay it it perhaps. Then use that money to get 2x256mb sticks. If you're only using ValueRAM it should be easy to sell, and you could get 2x256mb stick of ValueRAM over at newegg for 80 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=147&depa=1

Comment

Yep just usin' one memory channel limits ya CPU to basically only half its available bandwidth, not to mention the bandwidth that other DMA hardware require (ya video card is one of those), so in other words ya stranglin' it. :hammer:

Comment

i see. well i want 1 gig of ram anyway so i think getting another 512 stick is the WTG. just out of curiosity, does upping the voltage of DDR increase the overclocking capabilities of the ram while increasing heat? (like cpu voltage)
                -Ice

Comment

You could do that, but it wouldn't be as good as getting 2x256 because the 1 gig really won't be put to good use. The only difference you'll see is slightly faster loading time, and maybe a 50-100 point increase in 3DMark.

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX
                    You could do that, but it wouldn't be as good as getting 2x256 because the 1 gig really won't be put to good use.
                    That depends on what he uses his system for don't ya think..
                    Personally I don't think his only task is benchmarking.. :rolleyes2

Comment

True, true, but he hasn't said a thing about doing anything aside from gaming and your average internet stuff. For gaming and browsing puposes, though, 1 gig is overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX
                        For gaming, 1 gig is overkill.
                        I disagree.. :)

Comment

ever heard of the game planetside?? :D

Comment

you guys are right. by optimizing the ram timings alone i got a whopping increase... 14000 3d marks to 15,867. with my current computer and dual channel DDR400, you think i could break the 20,000 barrier?

Comment

Originally posted by IceBlade2097
                              i see. well i want 1 gig of ram anyway so i think getting another 512 stick is the WTG. just out of curiosity, does upping the voltage of DDR increase the overclocking capabilities of the ram while increasing heat? (like cpu voltage)
                              -Ice
                              Yup, exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X