9800pro - 128mb or 256mb model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800pro - 128mb or 256mb model?

Great forums... been lurking a while reading up on upgrades... now I'm ready to make my first purchase toward my upgade, the video card. Here's the question...

I'm going with a 9800pro... which version do I want? The one with 128mb or the 256mb model? I thought I read that the 256 is actually slower memory? What advantage, if any, would the 256mb model give me, and are those advantages big enough to warrant the extra cost? While I'm at it, it seems the general consensous(sp?) is to save the extra 100 bucks and go with the Pro instead of the XT, and overclock a bit to achieve XT speed, correct?

Second question... since I have a gift certificate at a local store, and they only carry ATI version, is the ATI version good compared to say, the Saphire card? If not, I'll just go with Saphire and save the GC for something else.

Thanks in advance for any info. :thumb:

In case it's pertinent... my system is currently an AthlonXP 1800 with 1gig memory on a crap mb... but soon will be upgrading to either P4 3.0 or Athlon64 3200 (leaning toward Athlon) with a good mb

If you're planning on keeping it for a while, Id go 256mb. You wont see any performance gain with the games on the shelves now, but 6 months down the road it will help you out. IF in 6 months you think you'll be buying a new system, save the money and go 128mb.

Almost all ATI cards perform the same, but it all depends on what you're looking for. Just look through the retail bundles on the different manufacturer and see what strikes you. Sapphire is a great name though, and alot of people recommend them as good overclockers.

Comment

Thanks...

So then assuming, yes, I do want a big upgrade now and I want it to last for some time to come... I go with 256mb version...

I read correctly that the only remaining difference between the Pro and the XT is the clock speed, and the Pro can easily be overclocked to XT stock speeds without any additional cooling beyond the stock fans? This is correct?

Comment

Most likely, but theres always the possiblity that you'll get a wierd card that dont like to overclock. But besides that you should be able to see xt speeds and beyond with a pro.

Comment

Sure the Pro will get to XT speeds usually but then again the XT when pushed will go further.

Comment

I'd go with the 128 MB if you're going with the Pros, but if you really want the (for now) useless extra memory, get the XT. It likes to perform about 10% better than the Pros, and will last you quite a bit of time.

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions...

Finally ended up going with a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128meg....
              at $255 shipped, it was almost a no brainer, leaving cash to allow me to upgrade the rest of my system just a wee bit sooner.

Comment

That's a very nice price for a 9800 Pro, very good deal. Also that card is going to own every game it comes across (for the most part anyways). : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
                X