Have I done the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I done the right thing?

I always keep one eye on these forums because it's full of people who have proved time after time that they know their stuff when it comes to the PC.

I've recently been looking for an upgrade to my GFX card which is currently an MX400 but I didn't have that much money to spend - 100 GB Pounds (around 180 US Dollar I think).

After my usual consultation of the Tweaktown forums I found myself doggedly hunting down a ti4200 because almost everyone agreed on thread after thread that this was one of the best cards around, especially at budget price range.

I've now ordered a second hand Leadtek A280 LE TD MyViVo 128meg ti4200 for a grand total of 58 GBP which is probably around the 100 dollar mark, and it'll be arriving at my door tomorrow (and boy I can't wait).

In the opinions of the various users of this forum, have I done the right thing?

Thanx a million.

G-Wulf

Great pick, the 4200 is a speed monster compared to ya old MX400.. :)

They have huge overclocking potential to..

Comment

Phew what a relief - thanks for that.

I have a "buddy" who runs his own PC tech workshop. I originally ordered my PC from his but have made one or two mods myself since.

I know from experience he is prone to feeding me bullsh*t about various components I ask about in order to get me to buy the components he supplies.

He has been trying to persuade me to take a 256MB ASUS FX5600 off his hands and in the process has been totally trashing the ti4200 but he can't get it thru his thick head that the ti4200 is specifically what I want.

Firstly he said it won't work on my machine because the ti4200 uses SDRam whilst my MoBo uses DDR (Ad70-SR KT266A to be precise) and then he tried to feed me some crap about it not working because my MoBo supports up to 4xAGP whilst the ti4200 uses 8x.

From what I've researched and what I believe, what he's told me is complete tosh - can anyone offer any reassurance?

Comment

[B]He has been trying to persuade me to take a 256MB ASUS FX5600 off his hands and in the process has been totally trashing the ti4200 but he can't get it thru his thick head that the ti4200 is specifically what I want.
        Your new card will spank the ass of that 5600.

[B]Firstly he said it won't work on my machine because the ti4200 uses SDRam whilst my MoBo uses DDR (Ad70-SR KT266A to be precise) and then he tried to feed me some crap about it not working because my MoBo supports up to 4xAGP whilst the ti4200 uses 8x.
        Totally wrong. Your new card will run just fine.

[B]From what I've researched and what I believe, what he's told me is complete tosh - can anyone offer any reassurance?
        If I were you I'd never talk to that man again.. ever.. :)

Comment

Yeah, someone should give a good lecture about computer technology to your "buddy"! :no: : omg: The Ti4200 is a good buy for that price, especially because it´s the ViVo model. :thumb: :)

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
            If I were you I'd never talk to that man again.. ever.. :)
            That sounds like the best darned advice I've had all night! :thumb:

He's got a really annoying habit of dissing anything that he doesn't stock just to get folks to buy his stuff and use his services.

What he doesn't realise is that he's been sussed out - not only by me as well!

Thanx all!

Comment

I've just checked on the tracking system of the company I've ordered the ti42000 from and it'll definitely be here tomorrow morning.

I presume I'll need to totally delete the old video drivers before fitting the card and installing the new drivers.

Is there anything else I should do apart from pray?

Comment

Ya'll be happy with that particular card as I can tell ya havin' 3 of them myself.

Comment

I have personally tested a 256mb fx5600 8x vs 64mb ti4200 4x and can assure you that the ti blew the fx away by more than 1000 3dmark'01 points in a asus a7v8x(8x board). This was in a customer's machine and he tried to return the ti to me saying it was slow and ****ty.(he was told this by the store that sold him the fx5600 for $300cdn)
                  You got an extremely good deal. And your so called buddy is real stupid, the fx is 8x as well, and ti uses ddr. The difference between 4x and 8x is about 1%.

Oh, how much was he trying to soak you for that fx?
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by G-Wulf
                    He has been trying to persuade me to take a 256MB ASUS FX5600 off his hands and in the process has been totally trashing the ti4200 but he can't get it thru his thick head that the ti4200 is specifically what I want.
                    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=482&dPage=4

nuf said.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
                      Oh, how much was he trying to soak you for that fx?
                      It wasn't that much actually - 85 GB Pounds which is only 27 more than the card I've had but he wouldn't accept that I was specifically after a ti4200 because I had listened to people who knew their stuff, done my research on it and deducted that it was the very best in my price range.

Besides, *If* I'd agreed to take one off his hands he would've cajoled me into taking a new motherboard which supports 8xAGP and lord knows what else until I'd have virtually ended up owning a new machine.

That's how he got me with my last machine and I'm not falling for it again

Comment

The thing is that 8x AGP video cards are also 4x AGP compatible so if ya did buy the other there would've been no need to replace ya mobo but the A280 LE TD MyViVo is also an 8x AGP card (there's very little in performance difference between 4x and 8x). Sounds like he was tryin' to take ya for a long ride.

Comment

Exactly why I chose to ignore him and carry on with my selection anyway Wiggo - I'm onto his game now. His idea of marketing stinks quite frankly.

Anyway, here's a good one for ya.

I've just installed my new card and it's showing up in the Device Manager as a ti4800 SE.

Is that a good or bad thing do ya reckon?

Comment

Now I wonder why that is as a Ti4800SE is a 8x AGP Ti4400 but here's how mine shows up. :?:

Comment

What are the speeds for your new card? If they are 275/550 then you got a ti4800se by accident and you are way ahead of the game.:thumb:
                              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                              asus a7n8xe-dlx
                              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                              bfg 6800gt
                              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                              samsung dvdrw
                              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                              seagate sataII 500gb
                              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                              samsung sata dvd-rw
                              2x1024 ocz black
                              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Working...