Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new video card, but dont understand anything!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I live in New York and I did post my specs

"Just so you have an idea right now I have a P4 2.0 Ghz with 328RAM and an ATI 128 Rage pro Video card."

I dont know what else I should post.
    For some reason I thought the 9600 pro was 100$ (US)
    But when I looked at the add it was misleading and was the 9600 se, so I wouldnt even buy anything from those guys now.

I Think I saw an offer at best buy where you can get some radeon 9600 version for 100 after mail in rebate and the original price is 180 so maybe its the pro, I might get that if not Ill probably wait awhile or maybe get the 9600.

Is there a big difference between the 9600 and 9600 pro.

Im leaning against the Ti4200 because I want my card to last awhile and no DX9 support sound like it wont last as long.

Thanks again for all the help
    Jack

Comment

In your situation, get your hands on a 9600 pro or 9600 xt. They're the best card under 200 dollars, period. I have a 4200, and although the baby has served me very well, The new system im planning is going to probably have a 9600 xt in it, and the 4200 will be joining the drawer with all my 3dfx voodoo3 3000's in it :)

Best Buy/Staples/Circuit City sometimes run really great rebate promotions and stuff on video cards and sometimes retail stores can give you a better price then online. I got my 4200 when it first came out at walmart for 199 minus a 50 dollar rebate. So go hunting. You'll be in love with the 9600 pro/xt.

And although the price will be going down, it wont by much, because the xt is the last of its generation, so it will be a while till the NEW video cards come out, so nows as good as time as any to pick up a new card. Happy buying, and once you get it, come on back, and if ya want to we can help you out with tweaking and o/c'ing it a bit to get the most bang for your buck.

Peace

Comment

Thanks Fatguy,

Ill see when I can get a chance to drop by personally at some of those stores, hopefully that nice best buy deal is on a 9600 pro.

Thanks Again
        Jack

Comment

Good move with going with the 9600 series, unlike you i did not do my research on the cards i got enticed by price seen compusa had an assylum fx5200 256mb ram for $99 after rebates so i bought it and took it home installed played a game guess what no different than my old MSI g-force 3 ti-200 pro if there was any difference it was very subtle. So i started reading here and decieded to go with the 9600xt figure it would be a good card get and hold onto for 2yrs. Went back to compusa returned old card (no hassle and did not charge me 15% open box fee) ask for store credit looked for 9600xt did not see it ask for sales rep and they had them in back :) :) Hooked it up when got back home started game maxed all vid options out, played and extremely happy

Comment

here is a link to the 9600 specs for ati's boards http://mirror.ati.com/products/radeo...o/compare.html

the Power Color 9600 pro has slower memory 400mhz versus The ati 600mhz.

Do your home work before forking out the $

Comment

Originally posted by hawkman-1
              here is a link to the 9600 specs for ati's boards http://mirror.ati.com/products/radeo...o/compare.html

the Power Color 9600 pro has slower memory 400mhz versus The ati 600mhz.

Do your home work before forking out the $
              The power Color 9600 that jack is talking about is a SE, which is in your link, with the rate of 400, so that is about right. He was not talking about the pro, because power color would not lower their cards like that unless its a SE!! :cheers:
              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
              SC: Audigy 2 zs
              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                The power Color 9600 that jack is talking about is a SE, which is in your link, with the rate of 400, so that is about right. He was not talking about the pro, because power color would not lower their cards like that unless its a SE!! :cheers:
                This is the card I am refering to http://www.power-color.com/r96-c3g.htm
                :cheers:

Comment

EZ version....=crap version! :cheers:
                  CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                  Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                  RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                  GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                  PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                  SC: Audigy 2 zs
                  LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                  Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                  Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Did you look at that really slow 200x2 mem speed. That is the worst I have ever seen. A r9000pro has 275x2 or 250x2 with the slow ram.
                    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                    asus a7n8xe-dlx
                    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                    bfg 6800gt
                    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                    samsung dvdrw
                    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                    mushkin 550w