Hercules 9800Pro slow results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hercules 9800Pro slow results?

I've just gotten a Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro and wanted to see how it could handle the 3DMark benchmarks.
    The results were much lower than I had expected from reading different tests.
    3DMark, all settings default, all tests.
    3DMark 2001 Score: 5929
    3DMark 2003 Score: 4180
    Doesn't that sound a bit low?

Graphics settings:
    AA & AF: Application preference
    Texture & Mipmap: High Quality
    VSync: On
    Truform: Off
    My system is:
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ 1.7 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9800Pro
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 Mainboard
    WinXP Pro
    DirectX 9.0b
    Latest AGP drivers, Hercules 3.7 drivers
    AGP Aperture: 128

Try disabling VSync

Comment

Try setting your aperture to 256, it might help. Also, that might be the max that your system is capable of handling, your CPU and/or RAM might not be able to push itself further. Even tho 3DMark2003 is highly dependent on your graphics card, in the home stretch your CPU might be choking.

Comment

I had a Celeron 1300 with a ti4600 and it scored over 8.000 in 3dmarks 2001se so yes I'd say something is very wrong there..

Comment

Originally posted by DraGoN-BoY
          Try disabling VSync
          I see only one person has caught the problem......:cool:

Weren't you wondering why your FPS sat at a constant and never moved?

Comment

Turning VSync off really helped the score...

I have tried different settings in the control panel and these are my results in 3DMark 2001:

Slider set to Optimal Performance, AA & AF: Application Preference, no VSync: Score 10784

Texture & mipmap: MAX, AA & AF: Application Preference, no VSync: Score 10451

Texture & mipmap: MAX, AA: 4X, AF: 16X, no VSync: Score 10052

Comment

You should be getting about 15k.

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting about 15K but I don't know why I can't get it...

Comment

Run all tests on High Performance and not High Quality.

Also make sure your AGP is enabled working properly at 8x.

Comment

Try setting your aperture to 256
                    I was gonna ask about this and rather than start a new thread I will do it here and now.
                    I have just bought a 9800 pro 256 mb card and wondered should I change my graphics aperture setting to 256mb in the bios?

Comment

AGP Aperture is the amount of system RAM allocated to video. You will have to run some 3DMarks and play with different sizes to find out what works best.

Comment

Hi there :afro:
                        My shiny new PC (see sig for specs) is also giving a duff 3dMark03 score: 3485.

My GFX settings are similar to the original poster's except VSync is off :)

The stand-out obvious problem as I see it is illustrated by the CPU info in the web page that the 3DMark03 "Details" button launches:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1.4 GHz
                        Manufacturer AMD
                        Family AMD Athlon(tm) XP
                        Internal Clock 1.4 GHz
                        Internal Clock Maximum 1.4 GHz
                        External Clock 100.0 MHz
                        Socket Designation Socket A
                        Upgrade ZIF Socket
                        HyperThreadingTechnology N/A
                        Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
                        Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
                        Caches
                        Level 1 128 KB
                        Level 2 256 KB

This is very suspicious as my CPU is allegedly a 2.8Ghz Athlon XP :shrug: Now, I've tried changing the FSB Frequency to 200Mhz from 100Mhz but that resulted in my monitor not receiving any signal from the PC so had to do a BIOS reset to get it back to 100Mhz.

Any help would be vastly appreciated before I fry my RAM or something horrible :barf:

Comment

I think that ya tryin' to tell us that ya have an Athlon XP 2800+ (this is not a GHz speed but a performance rating) which is spose to run at 2.083GHz so ya FSB needs to be set at 166MHz x 12.5. If ya want to run a 200MHz FSB then raise the core voltage by 0.1v, lower the multiplier to 10 then raise the FSB to 200MHz.

Comment

Wiggo,
                            whoops don't I feel a nub : party ha (whistles nonchalantly and gazes at floor), yes I meant a 2800XP.

I don't want to run a 200Mhz FSB Frequency as such, it just seemed the logical thing to do, given that I was getting 50% performance and 50% reported CPU speed when running at 100Mhz. Also I've seen other 3dMark03 scores from similar setups to mine with their FSBs set to 200Mhz and just assumed it was _the right thing to do_.

If your suggestion should lead to a stable setup (I've encountered dreadful stability probs, I suspect due to overheating) then I shall give it a whirl. I've read numerous posts of yours and you obviously know your onions.

Thanks,
                            pete

Comment

The stock retail HSF that comes with the CPU ain't worth much but should be good enough at stock speeds, take the side off the case while runnin' and if there's a significant drop in temps then ya need to improve the airflow of ya case.

Comment

Working...
                              X