Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce 3 Ti200 Locks My PC

Hi,

I am having big trouble getting a Geforce 3 Ti200 to work.

My system was:

Duron 700
    640mb ram
    Geforce 2/mx
    Sound Blaster Live
    CD Writer/DVD Combo
    2 Nics

I upgraded to a DURON 1200 as this was as high as I could go without a board upgrade. This seemed to go fine and everything still worked. I could run a 3dMark test fine.

But after installing the Geforce 3 Ti200 the sytem has become very unstable. It randomly locks up, this is generally when trying to run 3dmark2001, but it also does it whatever I happen to be doing.

When I put the geforce 2 back in the system runs fine(although does lock up very occasionally). The Geforce 3 does share an IRQ with about every card in the system(2 network cards, sblive) but I'm not convinced that is the problem as the Geoforce 2 did the same. Is this just because of ACPI?

After hours and hours and hours of trying different bios settings and different drivers I had just about given up. I have also tried this from a clean install and with Windows 98 dual booted. I have tried installing XP as a standard pc rather than using ACPI but I still get lock ups. I have changed the AGP aperture size but still get problems. Someone sufggested changing the AGP driving from Auto to Manual and changing the setting to FF(as this increases the AGP?), I don't know if this will help.

I wondered if the problem is heat related so I checked the temp is bios and it told me the CPU was running at 59c. I'm not sure if this is okay. When I replaced the CPU, I just put the same fan in (not sure if this was wise or not?), I am also unsure if I need to put some heatsink compound on as well.

I am now thinking that my problem is power. The Duron 700 run at 1.5v( I think) and the new one runs at 1.75, so do I need to change anything? The bios detected the new chip correctly. I am also running the latest bios version.

I have read that many people with a KT133 board are having problems with Geforce 3 Ti200 cards and the AGP driver. I don't know if this affects me or not. My board is a ECS K7VZA(ver 1). I have installed the latest 4 in 1, but still no joy.

I have now convinced myself the the power supply must be the problem, as I presume that the duron 1200 would take more power than the 700.Does the Geforce 3 Ti200 use more power than the Geforce 2?

I have checked my current supply and it it only 235w, so I am wondering if increasing the video and Processor speed has pushed my power supply over the edge.

I know the card works fine as I tested it in a PIII 500 machine(250w).

Any ideas anyone please.

sounds like you're onto something with the power supply thing...

get a good one, 300w minimum

solves all kinds of instability problems with AMD systems

I have used an Epox KT133 board with both a Radeon 7000 & a GF2 MX400 @ AGP 4X & experienced no instability (with newest bios, 4in1's and a decent PS), others may have had a different experience though....

Comment

VIA KT 133 have many AGP problems with Video card running in AGP 4X, CHANGE AGP TO 2X, MAYBE THIS CORRECT YOUR PROBLEMS, I HAVE A VIA KT 133 MOBO, AND ATI RADEON CARD, WHEN I RUN IN AGP 4X ALL MY SYSTEM LOCK, IN 2X ALL RUN OK.

CARLOS

Comment

I'm running my computer and never have problems with agp 4x!!!:D

Comment

I'm the same as Mysti.. I used to run an MSI K7T Pro2-A board with a GF3 in it.. no problems at all.

chances are it is your power supply. My machine was running a 250W, and that was barely enough. If I tried to overclock it wouldn't go very far... So that would be the first thing i'd try...

Comment

I added a new power supply and a new CPU fan.

Unfortunatly while I was doing this my girlfriend decided that was the moment to reach for a cigarette pack that was on a shelf above where I was working. In doing so she knocked a pint of diet coke over. That was okay though, for a minute I was worried that the carpet would get all sticky, but luckily my motherboard cushioned the fall.

Luckily I didn't have any cards in the machine at the time!

Anyway, the board is now dead. It tries to start up and will on occasion work from a hard boot, but trying the reset button just makes the pc cycle up to the point where it displays the processor on boot up and then sits there. It wont display the memory or find hard disks, just sits there! So I'm guessing the board is dead. The weird thing is that when it did boot the machine never locked up when running 3DMark, but would crash to the desktop. Maybe that was a driver issue and maybe the power supply did clear up the issue, I'll never know now.

I had another computer that I put the graphics card in (PIII 500, PS6BA board) and the card runs perfectly 1st time no hassles. No BIOS updates, additional drivers, praying needed.

So now I'm on the lookout for a new pc, does anyone have any recommendations for a good AMD based board.

So I've learned that smoking really is bad for you and NEVER EVER clean your motherboard with diet coke!

Comment

Yer story sounds crazy. Anways, VIA sucks my buts hardcore and I hate them forever. I had the exact same problem you had with a Gainward Geforce3 Ti200 on an Aopen AK33 mobo running KT133 (LAME!). The problem is sometimes referred to as the Infinite Loop error. Check this page for some info on it (http://www.gotapex.com/reviews.php?rev=ti450/p2.html). I fixed it after 5 hours of changing settings in my bios. The fix is different on every machine, which I think is completely unacceptable.

About the new motherboard, DO NOT GET A VIA CHIPSET! They are eVIL!

VIA :shoot2:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                God[/size]]
                About the new motherboard, DO NOT GET A VIA CHIPSET! They are eVIL!

VIA :shoot2:
                This is usually said by ppl who don't understand the propper way to set these up. Thank heaven that most ppl have learnt better. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Other than some bios chip problems with my first EP-8KHA (epox's fault) I never had a problem with any of my Via based boards... although the EP8KTA2 (KT133) did take quite a bit of tweaking to get it running right :D

Comment

I had a pretty much DOA EPoX EP-8KHA+, but that's in the process of getting replaced ATM. Waiting for a shipment.

Other than that, I'm all for VIA.
                    Chris "Raven"
                    News Crew - TweakTown
                    <!--
                    <font size=1>
                    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
                    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
                    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
                    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
                    </font>
                    // -->
                    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Yeah and most all of the Epox boards that had probs were to do with a bad batch of BIOS chips. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I ran a gf2 mx at agp 4x in 2 via boards to date, kt133 and 133a, now using GF3 Ti 200 in epox 8kta3 and not a problem

Comment

I decided on the Soltek 75-DRV4 and 256mb DDR. Now my video card works fine. No lock ups! 3DMark runs as it should. I get a score of 5400.
                          I just had to buy a game to test it, so I went for Medal Of Honour.
                          It just rocks!

I'm now very happy!

Comment

Good for you! As long as you are happy, it was a good purchase.
                            Congrats

JM
                            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

i recently upgraded my comp from a nvidia vanta LT (a whole 8mb!) to a GF4 mx420 wit 64mb DDR.
                              Problem being, about 30seconds into a game or similar app that uses openGL/direct3d, it freezes. Every single (((())))ing time. I have latest drivers. Maybe the fact that im running ME is the problem?

What would happen if i tried to convince winME that I was running a GF2??? would it work?

Comment

Working...
                              X