GeForce 4 MX - Ughhhhhhhh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 4 MX - Ughhhhhhhh!

Does anyone knows if MX means Mediocre eXperience?

Check the reviews at Tomshardware/Anandtech...the GF4MX is flogged by a GF3ti200 in nearly all 3dmark2k1 tests

Comment

What version of GF4MX? I just tested the MX440 and it was able to beat out the Ti200 card at all times... but not by a lot.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

at least the GF4MX card is close to the GF3Ti200 in current games, but when games start to come out with real DX8 functionality, it may not keep up.

Comment

Have a look at the following link to Anandtech......real good comparison of the cards' performance in 3dmark2001.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1583&p=8

At Tomshardware the diffetrence is more noticeable although both say the MX440 is a good value card.

Comment

My opinion is "Horses for Courses" and what ya can afford. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

What i wnt to say is:
              GF4 MX have a mediocre performance when compared to GF 4Ti.
              I think that Nvidea named MX "GF 4" just for marketing reasons, because it has not a GF 4 technology

Comment

Actually, the chipset core IS the new GF4 technology, but since it is designed as a budget card, they didn't incorporate the Ultra-Fast memory or a lot of the high-end features (DirectX hardware support, per-pixel shading, etc...). And for around US$130, it did manage to perform beyond it's price category.

Granted, the Ti will be a lot better, but it is designed for those who think that money is no object. If I can get one in for testing soon, then I'll make sure to do a comparison with the cards I used in this review and we'll be able to see what all the bells and whistles add up to. ;)

btw... here's the review of the GF4MX440:
                http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=181
                My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                  What version of GF4MX? I just tested the MX440 and it was able to beat out the Ti200 card at all times... but not by a lot.
                  ;) I can confirm your experence, I got to play with a 460 day before yesterday.............

To anyone who hasn't play'd with this one yet, don't assume.....I concide that this is a budget enter, but they built a very nice card this time. Gf 3 guys......sorry, but the 440 does exeeds your cards in some key areas. The 460 is bumped from the 440.
                  I was very impress with the 460 in it's side by side Max Pane test comprison with a Gf3 Ti 200, on identical systems.

I can hardly wait to see these board big brothers........there's my $.02 worh.

Comment

I was just pointing out some empirical data that some well known and respected testers are bandying around....and a lot does depend on the system etc....for example in Darth's Prolink GF3ti200 review he mentions a 3dmark score of around 5100.....I got nearly 5800 with an identical card straight out of the box with the boxed drivers.

I think all of the evidence that is put forward can only be used to outline functional strengths and weaknesses and the GF4MX are weaker IN SOME AREAS you would not expect them to be, especially given the comparable pricing with some of the GF3s.

Comment

But i have a doubt. when a game use the Transform & lightning mecanism, will this card do the work?
                      I have the 3D Mark 2001 and it have a test for T&L that doesn´t run on my Voodoo because this video card doesn´t support this function. Will this test run on the Geforce 4MX?
                      I don´t think so

Comment

The card can do T&L, but it cannot do things like per-pixel shading and it doesn't have hardware support for DirectX 8. It will still run the games that use this type of coding, but you won't be able to get the full effect of the graphics unless you have a card that can support these functions.
                        My Toys

Comment

Any features not supported in GPU hardware will generally be emulated by software - but it's not as efficient.

e.g. the Kyro II does not support hardware T & L but it can still run games that require T&L - through software emulation

Similarily the GF4MX will be able to run DX8 games and probably DX9 games, but without hardware support for certain features, you CPU will be more heavily loaded and your framerates will suffer.

I'm note sure if this is reflected in current benchmarks....buy not supporting H/W pixel shaders it simply does not run the test in 3DM2001...how does this affect the score? I don't know.

Comment

i have a GF2 MX, will buying a GF4 440 make much difference ? ..........plz say yes plz say yes plz say yes :D

Comment

" have a GF2 MX, will buying a GF4 440 make much difference "

Yes, definitely

Comment

Working...
                              X