No announcement yet.

Geforce4 Ti4600 performance not up to spec. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce4 Ti4600 performance not up to spec. Help?

I'm running a dell 1.7ghz w/ a geforce 4 ti4600 using the newest revision of the detonator fx drivers, and 256rdram (bringing this up soon, too) in WinME. The geforce4 was put in recently, and for some reason I'm just not seeing the kind of results I think I should expect. I'm scoring about 5800 3dmarks in 3dmark2001, and this just seems too low.

I thought the 1.7ghz processor would be enough to support the vid card, but maybe not. Is the processor holding the card back? What's goin' on? Anybody?

-Rob

The processor isn't that great, and I would definetly grab another 256 stick of RAM. The processor is probably holding it back the most. WinME is also the worst M$ OS ever made in the last past 5 years. It's incredibly unstable, and I would recommend getting a full copy of XP. You might also like Win2000. Basically your choice. In my experiances Win98 is even more stable that ME! By upgrading to XP you might even increase the performance...

Comment

Those numbers do seem low. No expert here but in my experience the first thing I'd be doing is finding a different operating system .... Win ME seems to have a lot of built in problems. Adding more RAM to a ME system may not help much. Different drivers work better in different systems as well. It might be worth experimenting with earlier versions to see if that helps the situation. Be sure that previous video card drivers have been completly removed before installing any other video drivers.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

true... win me is like the WORST os made by ms ever... highly unstable with many built-in problems... ram is another thing... should have at least 512mb for gamers, if you ask me...

Comment

Folks, lets remember that he has already stated that the OS is a Win9x based one and these tend to hack up a furrball when you install more than 256MB memory. Might work, but then it might not.

Rob,
          As to your problem, the score does seem a bit on the low side even with your system specs. You stated that the GF4 was a recent add-on, but what was the graphics used before this? It might be that you need to get rid of all remnants of the old drivers and start fresh.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

true... get rid of all the previous drivers... that meaning you get rid of all reg entries made by the previous driver... :thumb:

Comment

In my opinion I think that 1.7 is adequate for the card. He should definatly be scoring higher. My AMD system is 2000+ overclocked to 2.2 with a geforce 2! and it is getting around 6000. As everyone else has said delete the old drivers and re-install the brand new ones. If all else fails get a Radeon ;)

Comment

What mobo? What rdram? I score over 13.100 points at stock speed with 256 mb of 1066 ram under Win XP and a 2.26 ghz cpu. It beats the xp2400+ by a fair margin in 3d mark using the same Ti4600 card.

The small amount of memory is holding it back in my newest games as those peaks over 300 mb usually and forces the computer to swap..

Comment

same advice as guys from above but also try tweakme to get the most of your os

Comment

Working...
                  X