9700 pro overheating with pc1066

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9700 pro overheating with pc1066

After i switched from 512mb of pc800 rdram to 512mb of pc1066 rdram, every game i played crashed, usualy before gameplay. I added a 120mm adjustable fan to the side of my case (blowing on my ati 9700 pro). After that games would last 5 - 10 min. before freezing, crashing to the desktop, or restarting the computer. Will getting a new heat sink for my card stop the crashing? Can a new heatsink be added to an ati 9700 pro? And were could i find a good one? Thanks for any help.

Try sticking some RAM Sinks on the front and back of the card, making sure it completely covers the RAM.

Comment

but how can a ram upgrade effect the heating of the graphics card?..
      i simply can't think of any relation between the two...
      maybe its ur system rams that have the problem, as i undertand, u say that using rd800 rams these problems did not occur.

Comment

Can you actually feel large amounts of heat coming off anything when your system crashes? There's a chance it may not have anything to do with heat... A small chance, but still a chance...

Comment

Sounds more like ya mobo is havin' probs with those PC1066 RIMMs. Have ya put the PC800 ones back in to see if the prob is still there?

Comment

what mobo do u have? cuz the problem is almost certainly between the mobo and the ram

Comment

The system dosent crash with the pc800 ram, nor does it crash with only 256mb of the pc1066 installed. Also If i open the case and use a osilating fan to blow air in, it will not crash. Thats why i thought it was a heat problem. When it crashes there is some heat coming from the card, above the heatsink. The motherboard is an Intel D850EMV2 wich dosent tecnicaly support pc1066, but ive never heard of any problems useing it. I really hope thats not the problem becasue the pc1066 is awsome, for about 10 min.

Comment

Could the ram be overheating?

Comment

does it feel hot? Just put your hand right next to it when your system crashes. if you can feel the radiant heat, then it's warm.

Comment

The card does feel warm when it crashes. The card is the only place that i can feel any heat.

Comment

Latest bios..:?:

I seriously doubt the problem is caused by heat. That mem has cooling plates on it no matter the brand.

:cheers:

Comment

When I first put this comp together I tried using PC1066 RAM, except windows always crashed during the installation. ONce I replaced it with PC800 I haven't had any problems since, so unfortunately it might be ur mobo :thumbs do

Comment

I was kind of in your spot a while back. Check my sig for my specs. When I first got my comp, I had two 128MB modules of PC800 RDRAM (256MB total). I wanted to upgrade to 512MB of PC1066, but no dice, the tech I was talking to said it'd fry my board. So, I went up to 768MB (two 128MB modules and two new 256MB modules) of PC800, and everything's cool. Dunno if this is your case, but here's some things ya might wanna check:

-Boards made for 16-bit RDRAM do NOT support 32 bit RDRAM (ya might wanna check what ya bought).

-Boards made for PC800 RDRAM, especially older boards, wont support PC1066 RDRAM (they get fried, as I'm told).

Also, if you upgrade to 768MB of RDRAM, you wont notice the difference between that and 512MB of PC1066, except in a benchmark. I have yet to see any game (Unreal II, UT2003, etc.) slow down because of my RAM. Just something to consider. Anyways, best of luck, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Well that's true, but between 256 & 512 it's one hell of a difference in games..:eek:

Comment

When i open my case and put a small (5inch) fan blowing on my video card no games crash. BF1942 plays with every thing up and the max amount of soliders with no problems at all. That still makes me think that if cool better it will work. I should add that im useing a 380 watt TruePower power supply, with just one fan. And an Antec Sonata "silente" case with 3 non-silent 120mm fanns added. 1 exast on the back, 1 intake on the side, 1 intake in the front (smart fan), and one monted between the video card and harddrive. Does that sound good? Now im thinking of adding another exhast on the top, and replaceng the front fan with a stronger one, and the ram heatsinks for the video card. Who thinks im just puting off the purchace of a new motherboard? This is what my board requires for memory... 2.5 v, RIMMs, Direct Rambus DRAM(RDRAM), using 128/144Mbit or 256/288 Mbit, pc600 or pc800, SPD memory only, ECC and non-ECC support. I have read on many sites that it will also accept pc1066.

Comment

Working...
                              X