Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help overclocking Xeon X5460 modified to run on a 775 socket mobo

Hi,

I am running a Xeon X5460 (771 socket) modified to run on a 775 socket motherboard. I am having issues overclocking this CPU by more than 50 MHz. The CPU multiplier is by default set to 9.5 which is also the maximum. The only thing I can adjust is the CPU Host Frequency, which is at 333 by default (9.5 x 333 = 3.16GHz). I can only raise this to 338 with all other settings at stock. Even if I lower the voltage, I can still get 338 without a problem. But as soon as I raise to 339 or above I cannot boot regardless of every single other setting, including RAM config (I also tried with just 1 RAM stick), voltage, C1E enabled / disabled etc.

Other people's OC results on the internet suggest this should be fairly easy to overclock to at least 3.4GHz and beyond, but I am clearly stuck. What could be causing this problem? Even overclocking the memory or trying with each of the 2 sticks individually doesn't lower or increase the limit. I am an overclocking newbie, so I've mostly experimented with the settings myself and looked on forums, but nothing seems to work for me. Is there some sort of built in limitation in the BIOS? Or the motherboard itself? Or the fact that the CPU is meant for another socket? Because I can easily boot at 338 without raising voltage and without impact on heat, in fact I can lower pretty much every voltage setting and still have a stable system at 338. It seems rather arbitrary that I'd go from a completely stable system at 338 to a system that can't even boot at 339 even with raised voltages, OCed memory or disabled C1E.

Specs:
    • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, 775 socket
    • CPU: Xeon X5460, 4 cores at 3.16GHz (771 socket, but modified to run in the 775 mobo)
    • RAM: Copied directly from Aida64 and yes, the sticks are not from the same pack. They are different brands, but I tried running each individually on its own and it didn't make a difference.
      • DIMM1: 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
      • DIMM3: 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

• GPU: AMD Sapphire 7970 Dual-X with latest drivers running at stock
    • PSU: Some 500W FSP

EDIT: Not only does changing the settings not give me a better OC, it doesn't give me a worse one either. Even if I lower voltages and underclock the memory or change the multiplier, 338 remains the highest CPU host frequency I can run, no matter what.

Re: Help overclocking Xeon X5460 modified to run on a 775 socket mobo

Use BIOS f3a

Comment

Re: Help overclocking Xeon X5460 modified to run on a 775 socket mobo

Please post your setting using this template.
      Also attach a CPU-Z text report.

Comment

Working...
      X