Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice 7800X OC

Hi all,

I know this is sort of taboo this late in the game but I really wanted to try the X299 platform coming from a dying 5930k.

Anyway, I just hooked up my 7800x yesterday, specs at the very bottom. After some super preliminary testing and leaving prime95 on all night, my cpu passed @ 4.6ghz 1.22 Vcore, 3.0 ghz mesh @ 1.075v. (Ram is an XMP set to 3000).

I tried running the same mesh/ram settings and bumped the CPU cores up to 4.8ghz @ 1.25 but it wasn't stable.

So, I am a bit new to OCing and welcome all general advice on the cpu but also had a few specific questions:

1. What is the max vcore you'd recommend for the cpu for daily use? I have a swiftech drive x3 360 AIO cooler. It keeps this thing in the mid 60s low 70s during prime95.

2. Is OCing the mesh to 3.0ghz more important than the core clock? For instance, should I try to max out core clock first, and then go to ocing the mesh clock? Could the mesh being OCed right now be preventing me from getting it higher than 4.6ghz?

3. I don't really understand the AVX offset settings 100%. I have them set to -2 right now (both avx and avx512). Should that be different?

4. If it matters at all, my goal is just to game @ 144hz + the occasional stream, nothing too crazy.

Specs:
    i7 7800x
    Gigabyte X299 Tomahawk Arctic
    16 gb DDR4 @ 3000mhz
    GTX 1080
    EVGA Supernova G2 1300W psu

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Need Advice 7800X OC

Originally posted by xxxlun4icexxx View Post
    Hi all,

I know this is sort of taboo this late in the game but I really wanted to try the X299 platform coming from a dying 5930k.

Anyway, I just hooked up my 7800x yesterday, specs at the very bottom. After some super preliminary testing and leaving prime95 on all night, my cpu passed @ 4.6ghz 1.22 Vcore, 3.0 ghz mesh @ 1.075v. (Ram is an XMP set to 3000).

I tried running the same mesh/ram settings and bumped the CPU cores up to 4.8ghz @ 1.25 but it wasn't stable.

So, I am a bit new to OCing and welcome all general advice on the cpu but also had a few specific questions:

1. What is the max vcore you'd recommend for the cpu for daily use? I have a swiftech drive x3 360 AIO cooler. It keeps this thing in the mid 60s low 70s during prime95.

2. Is OCing the mesh to 3.0ghz more important than the core clock? For instance, should I try to max out core clock first, and then go to ocing the mesh clock? Could the mesh being OCed right now be preventing me from getting it higher than 4.6ghz?

3. I don't really understand the AVX offset settings 100%. I have them set to -2 right now (both avx and avx512). Should that be different?

4. If it matters at all, my goal is just to game @ 144hz + the occasional stream, nothing too crazy.

Specs:
    i7 7800x
    Gigabyte X299 Tomahawk Arctic
    16 gb DDR4 @ 3000mhz
    GTX 1080
    EVGA Supernova G2 1300W psu

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Any update on this? Trying to do the same sort of thing with a 7800x.... Starting to think I waisted my $......

Comment

Working...
    X