Overclock/ Underclock with UPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock/ Underclock with UPS

I have the P67A-UD3P-B3 motherboard with 2500k overclocked to 4.4GHz.

I recently bought a UPS because of the massive brownouts we get where I moved to and was wondering what is the best way to make a profile for maximum UPS conservation. I work from home and this will be my main rig, gaming and work.
    I dont remember whats set up in my BIOS, but will get some settings posted up soon. Power goes out from 1 hour to a week. Last week we had a 6 hour outage with no storm.

Hopefully someone has some generic advice before going in depth when I post an update with current settings.

Also using the CyberPower 1500PFCAVR and on desktop it gives me 20 minutes at overclocked speeds. Need more time so I can finish task at hand>20 minutes and set up generator which is connected to transfer switch. Worst case scenario is laptop with battery and UPS. Would rather be on main, though.

Re: Overclock/ Underclock with UPS

I have a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD and the CyberPower Power Panel says that I have about 50 minutes of run time when when it's fully charged and I'm at the desktop. I'll need to do a full test to see how long it will run by unplugging the ups from the wall plug. There are several ways that you can increase the run time when there is a power outage:
    • Create a saved bios profile that runs your system at stock settings or with underclocked settings and you would reboot and load this saved lower power bios profile when an outage occurs.
    • Connect another ups battery in parallel to the ups battery to give you more run time. This will probably void your ups warranty.
    • Install another ups and hook up your monitor and other connected A.C. peripherals to the second ups to allow your current ups to run for a longer time.
    • There are some transfer switch setups that will automatically start to generate power when an outage occurs.

Some ups models allow you to easily connect a second battery to provide longer run times.

Keep in mind that your ups is designed to run with reasonably clean utility power. Unless you have a power generator that generates very clean and stable electrical power, you might overwork your ups and possibly kill the ups, your computer system or both. Many years ago, it was recommended NOT TO RUN electronic appliances with consumer grade emergency generators. You should check with CyberPower tech support to see what they have to say about using their ups and your computer system with the specific brand/model of your generator.

A deep cycle 12 volt marine or automotive battery connected to your ups would provide a significant boost in run time, but you would probably need to spend $30 - $100 for a smart charger to properly recharge the discharged accessory battery. As I recall the standard full recharge time for the CyberPower's battery is up to 8 hours and a large capacity accessory battery might never recharge fully using the built-in ups battery charger.

I hope this helps.
    Let us know what CyberPower says and what solution will meet your needs.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

My generator is pretty nasty, no clean power. Will need an industrial/hospital grade line conditioner. I was hoping the UPS would act as a line conditioner, but I guess I was wrong. First timer with a UPS.

Didnt call CP yet. Will do in the morning.
      Would I be able to daisy chain a few of these power supplies?
      I would feel bad gutting this brand new piece of plastic to mod it lol.

I'll post up my pics of my bios. Its still overclocked, but I've enabled some settings to allow me to put on "Power Saver". It gives me a few more minutes and according to CPUID my processor runs at 1.6ghz with that on. Not sure if undervolting/underclocking would make a difference or a significant difference.
      Also will, one day in the future, add the automatic transfer switch. It's kind of expensive and also planning on switching the generator from gas to propane.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/EtRwl/embed"></iframe>
      Last edited by manoots; 08-05-2013, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Most consumer grade CyberPower PFC and AVR units have AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) and Line-interactive topology, but you need to confirm if they are suitable for use with a consumer grade stand by generator that might not offer reasonably clean electrical power. The AVR models might have compatibility issues with some computer power supplies when the UPS switches over to battery power. This isn't an issue with their PFC model line. CyberPower also sells considerably more expensive UPS models that might be suitable with "dirty" stand by generators. Competitive UPS models from other manufacturers that don't use a modified step sine wave output cost more than the PFC model series. The UPS switch over to battery power should not be a problem with models that have pure sine wave output.

It sounds like your laptop option might be the safest and least expensive way to go, but you still need to factor in the laptop's battery run time and how you can best use the laptop with a number of additional battery packs.

See what CyberPower tech support says about your current generator setup and if it's safe to let it power your computer for an extended period of time.
        CyberPower UPS - PFC Sinewave Series
        CyberPower UPS - AVR Series
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Got off the phone with the tech support at CyberPower. They said most of the UPS' wont run off the generator and it will stay in battery mode.

I saved my OC Bios preset and set another one for factory. Gives me about 50 minutes with a 24 inch monitor. Laptop is more. Im guessing underclocking won't do much more than that? Sounds like laptop is best way to go in this case.

On a side note, it is the 1500PFCLCD, not AVR. My mistake.

I checked out Tripp Lite and saw a 5kw system that is stackable.
          Tripp Lite SmartPro 5kVA Line Interactive Sine Wave UPS, Extended-run & SNMPWEBCARD options, 3U Rack/Tower, USB, Serial, EPO, 230V (SMX5000XLRT3U)
          Would that be a wise choise or just modding the UPS I have now with sealed batteries?

Comment

About $2000?
            You should be able to find a suitable setup for well under $1000, maybe in the $500 range plus the cost of additional batteries..
            It's a 230V system that might not have any standard 120V electrical outlets. It sounds like the model you linked to is like using a bazooka as a fly swatter.

CyberPower also has higher end models that might work for you.
            A web search using refurbished ups systems might provide some useful links. Several months ago I was checking out higher end UPS units and found several forums that discussed the advantages of using higher grade refurbished units from reliable websites and many had very high recommendations for one outfit on the web. This might be the firm they were talking about: APC UPS Systems - Refurbished APC UPS Back-UPS and Smart-UPS, Industry Leading Solutions | RefurbUPS.com As I recall, all of their refurb units come with brand new battery packs.

As I mentioned earlier, you might be OK with a large capacity deep cycle battery with a separate smart battery charger for gel cell batteries. I think that the safest setup is to have the large capacity battery connected to its own battery charger at all times where the smart charger would keep the battery fully charged using it's float mode. When an outage occurs, you would connect a battery cable to suitable jacks that you would add to the UPS case and this would use a parallel circuit connecting both batteries when needed; plus to plus and negative to negative. There might be some reasons why this modded setup might not be ideal, even though you would be connecting two 12 volt batteries in parallel. Theory is great, but reality often has a way of mucking up things.

A laptop would require much less power than your desktop system and my best SWAG is that underclocking your desktop might save up to 10% of the system's wattage needs, but your LCD monitor electrical needs would not be reduced by underclocking your system. I think that my 24" LCD monitor uses a maximum of 37 A.C. watts.

Comment

Lol "bazooka as a flyswatter". That made my day ;)

I was thinking if I do go big like that then I can power some essential electronics so the generator doesnt blow it all. Need Discovery channel while waiting to respawn

That website is really awesome though, I cant believe it slipped by me, especially that one! Really cool, man. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Too bad I didnt ask earlier.

Which brand do you recommend from that site? I saw this that I'm hoping I could stack:
              Tripp Lite SmartOnline 3000 Rack Mount 3U (SU3000RTXL3U) - Tripp Lite UPS System | RefurbUPS.com

It seems that UPS is AVR and not PFC. My PSU is XXX Black Edition PFC. From what I have read, the AVR wont do well on a PFC PSU.

I'm going to have to wait a few paychecks, though because had to spend a couple grand on office supplies. Hopefully the CP1500PFCLCD will be ok for a little bit before the big outages occur.

I was also thinking of running my own lines through the house and hard wiring the UPS in the basement with a custom built rack/enclosure with pretty cool LEDs and fans. Fireproof the sucker and make it look cool too! I'm an ex-contractor, could do this myself, but will need electrician to wire to panel for anything over 120.

Comment

I'm familiar with consumer grade UPS units, not the higher end enterprise models.
                If your UPS generates pure sine wave power, you shouldn't have an issue when the utility power is interrupted and the UPS switches to battery power mode. Some but not all UPS units that generate a modified step sine wave might have transition issues with some power supply models. I used two lower end APC UPS units (650VA + 750VA) for over 5 years and had no compatibility problems with my power supplies when there was a brief or extended power outage. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my power supplies were made by Seasonic (two different Antec models) and two current Seasonic models; X-650 (80+ gold) and XP2-660 (80+ platinum).

You will need to carefully choose UPS capacity and battery amp-hours to provide enough run time to power your equipment during an extended power outage. You can probably get good specific advice from a reputable UPS web site.

If you have an XFX Black Edition PFC power supply, it too is made by Seasonic.
                No offense, but you don't seem to do well with brand/model names or numbers.

Let us know what system setup you eventually end up with.

**edit**
                AVR is automatic voltage regulation which any decent UPS model will have.
                It is the waveform output from the UPS which might cause transition problems with some power supply models when an outage occurs.
                I don't know of any way to predetermine if a specific "non-pfc" UPS model will have problems with certain power supply brands or models.
                It is often difficult to find out which UPS models use the possibly troublesome modified step sine wave output.
                At the consumer level, a pure sine wave UPS model will cost about 25% - 35% more than a similar unit that uses the less expensive modified step sine wave output.

Last edited by profJim; 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah I definitely am bad at remembering models. The PSU I have is the XFX Black 750 XXX. It's an older one with a bunch of green. Built this PC about 2 years ago and still running strong.
                  XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply - Newegg.com

I see now with the sine wave. I have heard that some PSU's wont start or stay running? To me it looks like it would cause a flicker of adjustment. Doesn't the motherboard help at all with its regulations on there? I know the mobo is after the fact, but thinking it could help by adjusting draw?

Lots of questions, lots of reading... unreliable neighborhood :(

Will aim for a PFC unit just for peace of mind. Those prices are realllly good on the refurbs and looks reputable too.

Comment

Keep in mind that the PFC model designation is a CyberPower model name for one of their consumer lines that offers pure sine wave output. Many UPS manufacturers use the Smart model name to describe one of more of their model lines that have pure sine wave output. Check out Smart App Sinewave for one of CyberPower's higher end UPS model lines. There is a link at the bottom of the page for external battery packs that will provide extended battery run time.

As I recall the battery pack that is used by my CP1500PFCLCD UPS consists of two 12 volt batteries connected in series where this battery pack works as a single 25 volt D.C. battery. There are several brands of deep cycle AGM batteries that might work with some UPS units. You might be able to use several of these batteries if they are properly configured and include a dedicated battery charging setup to keep the batteries fully charged when the utility power is working. You will need to learn about line interactive, online, standby and a host of other terms to determine which UPS models will best meet your needs.

You should be able to find some excellent UPS faqs, guides and tutorials at manufacturer's web sites and on the web.

Comment

Working...
                    X