Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i5 2500k, Z77X-d3h (v 1.0)

Hi all,
    My head hurts trying to overclock with this MB. PC has no problems on default settings.
    I've been at it for months and I'm throwing the towel in!
    I have read and tried every method in overclocking to get it to sick, but no luck.
    The problem is that the pc will boot into second BIOS from cold boot, sometimes it boot loops, thinks about it for a bit. Then loads into windows. This doesn't happen all the time.
    I might find a different combination of bios settings that I haven't tried. I give it a go, but after a day or so I get the boots loops from a cold start.
    Waking from sleep is usually ok. Running prime95, IBT and OCCT finds no problems with my overclock in windows. Its just the cold boot and sometimes waking from sleep.(both boot into second BIOS)
    What's more annoying is my i5 was rock stable in my old p8p67 MB @ 1.320v (4.4) using off-set to overclock.
    I'm guessing my i5 and Z77X-D3h don't love each other. I think the longest ive gone without a boot loop is 2 or 3 days, then, BAM. boot, boot, boot..........Noooooo.

I've even set the board back to my supplier. They found no faults.
    Ive overclocked with fix voltages, and off set. Turned turbo ratio off. Both BIOS have the same versions(f18b). I've used 19h BIOS (Mod BIOS from UD3H). I've memory test, no problems. Tried OC'ing 2 sticks of ram. Tried VTT 1.12, IMC 1.05, vddr 1.66. Turned all the power saving features off. I've taken cmos battery out over night. I've tried 4.2 on auto. This list could gone on for a while.
    I've tried OC'ing 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6. I still get the PC booting into second BIOS.......Think my list will stop here!

The only difference between the Z77X and p8p67 MB is that i'm running two GTX 460 in SLI on my Z77X. As you all know p8p67 can only do crossfire.

Just had a idea! Might and try to overclock with 1 GTX 460. Why should that make a difference, I don't know.

So my question is, what is the main reason for my pc to boot into 2nd BIOS when I try and overclock?

Edit: Sorry if i'm being stupid. All settings on auto my vcore reads 1.200v in BIOS. If I set my multi to 43, disable c1e, eist , c3, c6 cpu thermal monitor and enable internal cpu PLL. Boot into windows cpuz reads vcore @ 1.325. Nice.
    But going back into BIOS vcore reads at the M.i.T health screen 1.224v and in M.i.T \Adv v settings\CPU core v control. It reads 1.240v. Am I'm right in thinking that it should read 1.325v on all BIOS vcore monitoring systems with the multi set to 43 ?

Regards.
    Last edited by binman; 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM.

Re: i5 2500k, Z77X-d3h (v 1.0)

it reads more vcore in windows because llc is being applied and that adds a chunk of voltage to the chips default voltage in the bios

you need to use a lower llc level or set cpu voltage to normal and undervolt the vcore with a minus - dvid amount

are you flashing both bios chips backup and main by spamming alt and f10 keys at gigabyte splash screen? that might help as will manually setting the bclk to 99 or 100
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi wazza300,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Answering your two questions. Yes, Alt f10 method, 99 and 100mhz set manually. Think I've read somewhere 101 might help. Tried that. No luck.

So today I'm trying vcore on auto, base clock to 99mhz. CPU ratio 44, Turbo boost off. LLC med, this give me a vcore under load of 1.332v, 1.344v. I know that this vcore voltage gives me stability in windows.
      I've found that setting LLC low gives me a vcore of 1.320. But under prime gives me a error on core 3 after 3 hours.

If I still get boot loops from a cold start I will try LLC on auto and use off set to get my required volts. Base clock set to 99.

Regards.

Comment

Morning all,
        Turned PC on this am, guess what I had? Yes! PC boot looped quickly 3 times, (but didn't boot into 2nd BIOS). Then loaded into windows like nothing had happen.
        I then shut down PC for 30 minuets or so. Re-started, and it booted into windows with no problems!

Why would the PC boot fine for two days and wake from sleep with no problems, no errors in window? Then start boot looping for no reason. As I said on my first post, its always done this no matter my OC method. Guess I've learn that not all PC's can OC. My next build I will put more money to a motherboard.

My overclock is, bclk 99. LLC med. Turbo boost disabled. CPU clock ratio 44. F18d BIOS

I just find it annoying not knowing why.

Regards.

Comment

could be a cold boot issue,thats usually down to memory settings,using x.m.p for your memory?
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I just enabled x.m.p. When I loaded i.e 10 it stopped responding. I rebooted then got a blue screen error read. "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". I rebooted again, got another blue screen error. "PFN_List_Corrupt".

So back on auto for memory.

My rams x.m.p is 6.8.6.24 1T. It reads this correct in BIOS but in windows on cpu-z it reads it as 7.8.6 24 2T

On auto it is set to 9.9.9.28 2T. Performance mode Turbo.

I have memory test all the ram, no errors. I have also tried raising the volts to 1.650 and setting the performance mode to normal. I have also dialled in the memory times manually, still get cold boot issues. I have tried all this on two sticks of ram and still get the reboots from a cold start.

I've always thought, suspected that my ram might be the issue.

Might buy some two 4GB sticks. What's recommended at the mo?

Regards

Comment

try with auto timings again but try 1.08v cpu/vtt

also set vcore voltage response to fast and pwm phase control to extreme performance and see if its any better,dram v id use 1.55v
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Cheers wazza300
                Thanks for your suggestions.
                Will give the setting a shot.
                If I get no joy I might pick some samsung green ram up.

Comment

Afternoon wazza300
                  Guess what the PC did this am. Yes, reboot 3 times, then loaded into windows.
                  Going to order some samsung ram tonight.
                  Regards

Comment

Originally posted by binman View Post
                    Afternoon wazza300
                    Guess what the PC did this am. Yes, reboot 3 times, then loaded into windows.
                    Going to order some samsung ram tonight.
                    Regards
                    Don't order new RAM!!!!

I've had the same problem with this board for over a year.
                    It's not the RAM, it's just an issue with THIS PARTICULAR board.

I read somewhere a while ago you can flash some BIOS to it which will fix the issue but I can't seem to find it.

Don't waste your money, it's just a minor issue with this board.

I registered JUST to reply to you so you don't waste money and time trying to fix this mysterious issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                      Don't order new RAM!!!!

I read somewhere a while ago you can flash some BIOS to it which will fix the issue but I can't seem to find it.

I registered JUST to reply to you so you don't waste money and time trying to fix this mysterious issue.
                      what bios version did you use to fix it? can you remember?

z77 beta/bios testing has resumed now so maybe they will fix whatever it is
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                        Don't order new RAM!!!!

Thanks Anarchy for posting.

I'm going to try the new ram with the latest beta bios F18e with OC settings posted here tomorrow.
                        For me, I cant admit defeat yet! It's half the fun in OCing. (sad I know) When, if I do solve the reboot issue I will be able to help others with similar problems.
                        Also, Big Brother is starting soon and the wife loves it. So I need to hide for an hour or so

Regards

Comment

Just a quick update.

Since installing my new Samsung green RAM I've had no cold boot or sleep issues, yet!

OC to 44, LLC Low, PWM phase extreme perf. Vcore voltage response fast. CPU bclk 100.00. vcore auto.

Ram OC to 2133 @ 10.10.10.28 1T @1.5v, I have tried 1.45v but windows crashed. Performance, normal

Thanks wazza300 for your help.

Comment

ahh that's good,don't be scared to use upto 1.65v dram voltage,that memory can take it just fine,1.55v tends to be the sweetspot
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Hey binman, I was wondering if your solution (buy new ram) has kept working for you. I'm experiencing similar issues.

Jaap

Comment

Working...
                              X