No announcement yet.

Project: overclock a compaq computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lemme guess... Were they Freshmen CS majors?

Comment

Actually, Win 9x can handle up to 256MB. Anything more and it's not used efficiently... if at all....

Comment

mjrdink the main reason ppl put down 98/98SE is that they don't set them up properly (see this article for one of the main reasons of instability, http://www.pcscoop.com/software/oses/WINfiles/index.asp ) but I will certainly agree with ya about ME though. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

one was a junior cs major that i remember specifically

Originally posted by Wiggo
          mjrdink the main reason ppl put down 98/98SE is that they don't set them up properly (see this article for one of the main reasons of instability, http://www.pcscoop.com/software/oses/WINfiles/index.asp ) but I will certainly agree with ya about ME though. :smokin:
          very nice article... that scares me... i'm gonna have to see if this happened with XP now! but it still isn't convincing me to switch back to 98.

Comment

Well so long as ya have all the "candyeye" features turned off then ya not takin' to much of a hit but do ya self a favour and get some more memory in there. ;)

Comment

If I have any other ideas about how to get the PLL to write
              ill let you know

Comment

sweet... yeah... i'll keep looking into other options... maybe if i find out enough about what i can solder and i get drunk enough to risk it..... hmmm... ok so maybe drunk isn't a good idea... but maybe i'll try it... just need to find some good articles and some time to read them.
                yeah... i have the 'special' happy visual options turned off. and my theme is just total white windows with black bars... it looks pretty sleek. even if its not 'customized bitmap buttons'.
                and the memory: i just need to find $20 sitting around and then i'll replace the 64MB dimm with a 128 my parents computer has an open slot i can throw the old one into.

Comment

Ok, well just make sure it is compatable with your parents system, or they will be crashing alot.

Comment

no... the dimm is 133/100/66 ... and so is the mobo essentially... the ram is locked at 100 but the fsb for the processor all depends on the processor i have in the board. I could buy a P3 to put in... but i'm too poor. my next investment would be a video card if anything at all after more RAM

Comment

Originally posted by mjrdink
                      no.... sorry
                      just alot of comp science majors have told me so
                      Computer Science - Hah! What would they know. Win95 more than 128mb is waste, Win98 more than 256 is waste in my experience

Comment

I have a 476 Mhz Compaq that i have been messing with and I see the jumpers on the mobo, i tried experimenting with them but i only seemed to decrease my speed:( Does anyone know which switches on there should be turned on or a website i can go to to help me kind of o/c it? Its an AMD K-6. Thanks :shoot3: :shoot2:

Comment

What's the model number or even better can ya see who actually made the mobo? :?:

Comment

I used WPCUID and it says the mobo is a Compaq 05C4h
                            I think that is it but I am not too sure.

Comment

Sorry but that didn't help me over at the new Compaq/HP site so it's a Compaq Presario PC but does the case still have the model number on it? :?:

Comment

Ah the freaky speed K6-2 (the speed is 475MHz - 95MHz FSB, 5x multiplier). Can't say I know who makes the mobo though, you might just have to experiment with all combinations (just make note of the effect of each setting)

Comment

Working...
                                X