Project: overclock a compaq computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjrdink
    wwilliam54... you use too many abbreviations!
    sorry got carried away
    happens alot

BTW thanks
    you got me off my but
    I need to get my FSB going right

Comment

well
      im gone for tonight
      I nned to practice on my mb to make sure im doing it right
      (softFSB conifg that is)
      ill let you know tomorow

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
        This was a while back, but a friend of mine was dead set on overclocking his compaq, so we went to work gathering the mobo specs, and we got an 8 dollar hsf off ebay (the stock one was absolute trash)

And we did it! We got a K6-2 from (its been a while so bear with me) from 350 - 450 (or possibly 450- 550-you get the idea)

The system did become less stable, but not alot less stable. Two or three restarts a day and you might not even crash! :D

So it is at least is possible, but don't try it without a better hsf.

After about a year of use in this setup, however, the PC started to degrade, and finally when the comp was 3 years old, and had been overclocked for a year and a half it finally stopped booting. But no big loss, as it was a compaq (with a K6) from day one. 3 years was far longer than expected.
        oh yeah
        forgot to mention

that should have been pretty easy
        even on OEM boards most socket 7s had multi and FSB jumpers

Comment

*creack neck and smiles

get softFSB and import this
          Pll data file for Soft FSB

I hope it works
          if so at least it get you to 718mhz
          im gonna chew through the data sheets some more later

Comment

yeah, i know... and my motherboard even has the labels for the jumpers that should control the fsb..... but i can't find the jumpers themselves! it's quite silly.

and the only problem with cutting pins and soldering wires is that if i wreck something... i'm f@#ked. cuz i don't have money for a whole new computer. and i most certainly need my computer for school. :geek:

eventually i'll save up enough money for a new mobo.... i still think i should be able to communicate with the pll-ic through softfsb or something.... i think that the ic may be a specific version that doesn't want to be communicated with! :snip:

Comment

try that real quik and see what happens
              let me know
              ill stay on a little longer

Comment

screw the compaq, btw, compaq bios's are the most stable =) cause you can't do jack to it..lol

Comment

ok... i imported the pll file.. .thanks man... here goes nothing! i'll report back ... very happily indeed if it works... if not... more studying up for me eh?

Comment

hi mjrdink:D
                    just a bit of advice....with your cpu and especially 192mb ram u;d be much better of running windows 98 rather than XP performance wise
                    :cheers:

Comment

I agree with that as that poor Celery has to push a lot of bloatware with XP. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

lol, i run xp on a 300mhz amd k6-2 with 256 mbs of ram..haha, but just gotta turn off the visual stuff =P

try running win98 se or winME, only thing i liked about winME was its boot times, amazingly fast..well, on my old computer atleast

Comment

: party ha : hahaha! hahah! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! don't make me laugh! windows 98???? windows ME??? don't even mention ME in my presence... it's the WORST operating system every devised and microsoft should castrate itself just for putting it on my computer in the first place... i formatted my hard drive and got rid of the partition that held ME.... and put on Windows 98se...
                          i was ok for a while untill i just got sick of it crashing and freezing. PLUS ... little known fact... windows 98 and 95 only use up to 96MB of ram... so no my performance wouldn't increase... when i switched from 98 to 2k w/ ntfs, my computer got 3 times faster.... XP is the same speed as 2k when i don't have all that stupid visual crap activated... and as for the 'bloatware' you can disable it with a little known program thats on your hard drive in XP called services.msc (use the run command) and heres a great site that you can go to that tells you what all the programs do... and what the best thing to do about them is. http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
                          so... i've gotten XP to run alot quicker than 98 or ME ever did... and my computer never crashes either. After i hooked up my computer to my school network with ME on it i had to reboot almost every half hour. I restart my computer once a week now. :cheers:

Comment

oh yeah... and i still can't get softfsb to work... as far as i can tell the pll file is all good williams ... and i can 'get fsb' with it. but when i change the bus... softfsb counts up to about 4 and then the screen blanks... oh well! guess i'll have to find another way.

Comment

PLUS ... little known fact... windows 98 and 95 only use up to 96MB of ram...
                              Got a source to prove that?

Comment

no.... sorry
                                just alot of comp science majors have told me so

Comment

Working...
                                X