buying processor.....intel or AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying processor.....intel or AMD?

Ok, I know that there are big-ass debates going on, so I just want to hear the pros and cons of Intel or AMD processors. I'm a newbie to all of this, and I'm looking to build a computer to overclock, because I'm VERY short on cash. All I want is a music/gaming rig, so I need a processor that can handle it good. My case is going to have 7 fans, so cooling shouldn't be an issue. What processor would be suitable for me?

If your very short on cash, you have already ruled Intel processors out ;)

Athlon XP is much cheaper, and is faster than the P4 until you get to the fastest P4 models (like 2.4/2/53Ghz).
    Athlox XP will do what you want just fine, and will be a lot cheaper :D

Comment

If you want a phat overclock, get the Pentium 4 1.6A (they are being discontinued though) or 1.8A. They overclock very well. I've got my 1.6A running at nearly 2.2Ghz, and many people have been able to hit 2.4GHz with little or no voltage increase. Also, I purchased a retail boxed 1.6A for $140+ shipping from Newegg (only good if ya live in the US, tho--no international shipments).

If you're not gonna overclock much if at all, the Athlon would be a better choice.

Pro's of the P4: does not require extreme methods of cooling--stock cooler is plenty, the northwoods (512kB L2 cache, denoted by "A" for 400MHz FSB ones) are very good overclockers, much less likely to fry than an Athlon.

Pro's of Athlon: more work per cycle, stomping out P4 at equivalent and similar speeds. The highest end Athlons are around 1/2 the cost of the highest clocked P4 (2.53GHz). While they do have their multiplier locked, it can be overridden (depending on how much balls you have to fill L1 bridges) w/o too much hassle--this cannot be done with the P4.

Comment

Consult the book of Jeff K. !!

http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/amdvintell.htm

Comment

Oh no! :eek:
          Not that comedy site again. :(

Comment

ahahah good ****:D

Comment

hehe i would go with a amd.. im more of a amd guy.. but the p4 2.2ghz is good for ocing

Comment

I'm neutral. I like computers, and would like a Mac some time (I want a Mac Cube and/or a dual G4 Mac, dammit!)

Comment

What would you rather do on a dual G4? The only thing I can think of is video editing.

Comment

There is no debate, seriously d00d. In my opinion you should purchase an amd processor. They are very reliabel as i have one. I have not had any problems with the voltage defaults or core temps. It is a personal opinion to purchase an amd cpu.
                    Yet also, amd motherboards are cheaper in comparison to boards that are sued for an Intel CPU.
                    So do what i did , be smart,. don't be a retard and buy AMD.
                    :D

Comment

buying an AMD gives you better performance for your dollars...and yes while some P4's o/c very well, there are plenty that don;t..also buying AMD gives u better upgrade options...who knows when intel are going to change their socket again

Comment

For the price, it's hard to beat amd. However, if you are serious about overclocking, some of the P4's can really cook (without being cooked).

:flames:

Comment

hpw much cash so we can tell you a XP or T-Bird

Comment

errr u can;t t-birds anymore....not that u would wanto:confused:

Comment

:cool: What about dualies?

Comment

Working...
                              X