MSI k8N Neo2 Platinum & Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI k8N Neo2 Platinum & Memory

For the above board w/ an AMD 64 FX-55 cpu, can you recommend what memory would be better, it's going to be used for gaming.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I was looking at the Crucial Ballistix line. They show 2 types of compatible memory. PC3200 @ 2-2-2-6 timings and the PC4000 @ 2.5-4-4-8

<o:p></o:p>

I'm not looking to push the machine to it's limits, just looking for a good combination of stability & speed. Would like to run the dynamic overclocking feature of this board to the 11% setting if stable.

<o:p></o:p>

So PC3200 running at 200mhz fsb or PC4000 @ 250mhz fsb, which would give me the best perfomance & stability.

Re: MSI k8N Neo2 Platinum &amp; Memory

Well to my understanding the faster PC4000 RAM would be more stable for that kind of overclock. But the momory with lower latencies would be just as fast because of the latencies itself. Myself would pick the PC 4000 as I would be doing more overclocking and need the extra speed as far as MHz goes.

Comment

My understanding is athlon 64s work best with low latencies, and that more cpu speed is better than extra memory mhz. Now seeing as you only want to overclock by 10% or so, and athlon 64 FX having an unlocked multiplier, get the PC3200 and just overclock by raising the multiplier 1 or 2 steps.

Comment

Just get some good CAS2 PC3500 memory.

Comment

If you're going to spend a lot of money, some 2-2-2 PC3200 would actually work best, most likely. You can leave them at stock for great performance, or loosen timings and up voltage and speed for some better performance. However, don't think of this as a P4. You don't need high speed RAM for overclocking, nor do you need low latency RAM. The CPU can be overclocked independantly of the RAM (well, kind of...) at no loss. Sometimes, the increase in memory speed is actually not worth the loosened timings, but it really depends on what specific model you get.

For this type of system, I'd usually say OCZ Platinum Rev 2 or Crucial Ballistix PC3200.

Comment

Thanks guy's for all your help. It was a big help. I'm going with the faster timings of the PC3200. Seen some great memory reviews in the PC3200 range and I have seen the Crucial Ballistix PC3200 in combination with the AMD cpu & the Nvidia m/b chips keep up with the big boys and at a cheaper price.

Thanks again, now its time to build this thing.

AMD FX-55
            MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
            Crucial Ballistix 512 x 2, 2-2-2-5 1t
            Antec Neo 480 p/s
            Maxtor 300 SATA
            NEC 3500A DVD R/W optical
            Creative Audigy2 ZS

Comment

If you're going to be overclocking a beast like that an even bigger PSU will likely be needed. A ~550W ought to be sufficient, assuming it's actually a decent brand (ie Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax).

Comment

Working...
              X