The origins of overclocking.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origins of overclocking.......

i was just wondering where the idea to overclock came from...did some one just fiddle with the jumpers on there board and find that they could get more speed for free? Or did intel n co say "if you do this, this hapenns".........just wondering if anyone knew....:?: :?: :?:

It has been in place ever since the microprocessor was invented..... back in 1981 engineers were bragging about overclocking a 2MHz chip to 2.4MHz..... now we just use GHz instead of MHz :D

Jumpers came later...... then Abit really set the overclocking market on fire with their range of BX boards in 1998 - that made overclocking a mainstream issue - not just reserved to hardcore geeks :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

cool, thxs. They say ya learn something new everyday :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumb:

Comment

No problems - that's what my mother says as well :thumb:

Comment

Let's not let this thread die. Let us continue this journey of exploration on the origins of overclocking for us individually.

For me, this is my story of how I started overclocking:

In the mid 90's, I had a P133. Some new game came out that really taxed the system. Friend of mine suggested I "overclock" it. I wasn't sure what he was on about, thought maybe me meant overdrive - ie. install newer processor (called Intel Overdrive's back in those days). Told him I couldn't afford a new chip. He informed me I could just switch the multipliers and FSB speeds and as long as it's not too outragesall should go well. Every since then, my P133 has been running at 166Mhz for a further 3-4 years until now that I have money at my disposal.

That old system altho worth nothing, I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world as it has such a high sentimental value to me. :) However I think nothing of exchanging parts in my current system (money permitting).
          Onyx

TweakTown
          OCAU - Overclockers Australia
          CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Here's a tragic tale for you...

First attempted an OC on my Ath 1.1Ghz. Got the pencil out, joined the L1 bridges. Booted the machine up, went into the BIOS, changed the multiplier. Worked great. Suddenly heard a big ping and saw something shoot out of my PC. When I realised it was part of the clip that was holding my HSF on, I jumped straight for the power cable at the back. Was too late though. fried the thing in 6 seconds. Managed to get a replacement from the nice people at AMD. Didn't overclock this one. For a while... :D

Did the same again, joined the bridges, put the HSF back on. Clocked it up a fair way. Then about 10 days later my computer died. Eventually, thanks to Birdkiller, I found out that I had put the clip on back to front this time, which put too much pressure on the edge of the die, cracking a little off the side.

So, I gave up that idea, got an Ath XP now. Have worked the FSB up a fair way, but there's no chance i'm even touching the HSF on this one. And the unlocking process is a little too involved for me.

Comment

My best overclocks were a Celeron 266 at 533MHz on an AOpen AX6BC board (I miss you old friend! :cry: ) and 224MHz out of a Pentium 120 (on an ALi Aladdin V based board). Also had a 566MHz Celeron at 952MHz on the same AX6BC motherboard. But I'm getting more cautious in my old age - haven't overclocked since I dropped a screwdriver on my AX6BC and mortally wounding it in the process :( :cry:

EDIT: Onyx, seeing that you asked so nicely I'll make this a sticky thread ;)

Comment

Well my first computer in my room was a 486/100mhz...i had no clue how to use windows...just for DOOM and Duke Nukem 3d...then after begging for like a few years...i finally got my first real computer...it was a Pentium 3 600Mhz...the 100 mhz FSB version...i had no clue what to do...then I saw Virtual-Hideout...i read and i was like HOLY ****....this is cool...then i went to others including this site to gain more knowledge...so my best overclock with this one was 900Mhz...6x150mhz....but it wasnt soo stable...i had an alpha heatsink with 2 Delta Fans on it...SCREAMER!!!!....so i went to a stable 6x147...882Mhz...i felt soo cool....then i upgraded my PC.....

I bought and ABit KT7E and an AMD 1333....i put my swifty on without the washers on the ends of the spring...DUH....fried in 3 seconds...but luckily it wasnt cracked and i got a replacement CPU with an AYHJA Stepping code...now im running what u see in my SIG...my highest OC was 1647mhz...but im keeping it at 1533...but the wierd thing is...i have the same SDRAM PC133 Memory from my P3 Days...and they could go to 150 semi-stable...now on my AMD...they cant go past 133 without crashing...i guess my next upgrade will have some crucial chips in it...anywayz..those were my beginning days...now i OC friends PC's...lol (not anymore after a quick scare when i thought i fried his AMD...almost **** on myself before i reset the CMOS...lol...pheww)

EDIT: the mobo was a Asus P3V4X...with some mini heatsinks on the clock generator and other chips on it.

Thanks again Peeps...take care

FiReBLaZR

:flames: :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames:

PS...i think someone should create a smiley face with a PC that blows up from OC'ing...that would be funny and i would use the silicone out of it...lol

Comment

My first O/C experience was after I built my first computer myself ( no store bought anymore). Well, I ran it stock for about 2 months and liked how it was running. It was a PIII 600 coppermine slot 1 on a Asus P3V4X. The one with the same stepping as the 800 EB. I wanted to hit the 800 mark and did easily. Anyway you know how we are, I though wow that easy maybe 852 would be better. And there the saga began. I have overclocked everything since then I am never satisfied. BTW my girlfriend has that computer now. It is running at my personal best of 945 air cooled. I evern run overclocking software on my palmtop

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
                    My first O/C experience was after I built my first computer myself ( no store bought anymore). Well, I ran it stock for about 2 months and liked how it was running. It was a PIII 600 coppermine slot 1 on a Asus P3V4X. The one with the same stepping as the 800 EB. I wanted to hit the 800 mark and did easily. Anyway you know how we are, I though wow that easy maybe 852 would be better. And there the saga began. I have overclocked everything since then I am never satisfied. BTW my girlfriend has that computer now. It is running at my personal best of 945 air cooled. I evern run overclocking software on my palmtop
                    Thats a good OC...and i had/have the same exact system...i had the P3 600 that was the same as the 800EB...but only at 100mhz fsb...also the same mobo..but i hooked it up with some mini heat sinks to cool the chips off...anywayz...im out..lataz

FiReBLaZR

Comment

I think that is the best board I ever used from Asus

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
                        I think that is the best board I ever used from Asus
                        yeah that was a fun board...lol...pretty cool indeed...i still have it...its in the corner of my room...its for my mom...soon i will be able to finish her system up.

Comment

Well like I said it is what my girlfriend is using now. She loves it and when she wants a new machine I will take that one back and use it as a MP3 server or something. I had so much fun with that board

Comment

Argh that was me above

Comment

My first o/c was sadly only about a year ago...it was on the same Duron 800 I am using now. Because of my ****ty ram I could only get it to 915mhz, and when I got my new Gainward GeForce3 Ti200/450 last month I had such trouble with VIA's idiocy combined with XP that it's back at 800....sigh....I need a new motherboard...I will never buy VIA again.

Comment

Working...
                              X